Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble adding Server 03 domain controller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick8078

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
I am having a problem promoting a server to domain controller that is running Server 2003, the only current domain controller is also running Server 2003. Originally the domain was run on Server 2000, but I added another DC that was 03 using adprep. I then reformatted the 2000 server and upgraded it to 03, and this is the server I am trying to add back as a domain controller. The problem is I keep getting an area telling me that I need to run adprep, but when I run it on the active DC, it tells me this has already been run and updated and it is aborted. Does anyone have any ideas on why I can't add a Server 2003 machine to a domain that currently only has a Server 2003 DC?

Additionally, it seems I can not raise the domain functional level to Server 2003, it is currently at server 2000 native.

Yes, I attempted run both, but it I have done this before, so it is basically telling me that this has already been run and there is no need to run it again. I'll give a brief explanation of how things have been done up to this point so I don't confuse anyone. Originally server1 was the domain controller and it was running server 2000. I then added server4 as a domain controller, it was running server 2003, and I had to use adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep to add it. I have recently reformatted server1 to Server 2003 due to an error I was getting during the upgrade process. I then removed server1 from active directory as a domain controller, and I have readded it to the domain and I am now trying to promote it to a domain controller again, but I am getting the above area about having to use adprep. I think my problem is that Active Directory still thinks it is a server 2000 environment, but when I try to go to AD Domains and Trusts, and raise the functional level to my domain to Server 2003, I can't, the option isn't even there, and it is currently set at Windows 2000 native. So does anyone have any ideas as to how I can raise the functional level to server 2003?

I am no where near an expert in AD but is the 2003 DC also running the global catalog server?

- Zych

No, it doesn't seem to be, for some reason it is still pointing to server1, my question is, how can you change these services over to be run on server2 (the 2003 DC).

Server2 is not R2, while the server I am trying to add, server1 is R2. Does that mean I still have to run adprep from the second disk on the server that isn't R2?

Yes, if you are trying to make a new R2 server a DC, you need to run ADPREP on the existing DCs if the existing domain has no R2 DC already on it (and give time to replicate if more than one).

I ran adprep from CD 2, but I got the message, "Adprep encountered a Win32 error.
Error code: 0x3a The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

On my current domain controller, which is running server 2003, under AD domains and trusts, when I right click my domain and select "raise domain functional level," it is set to Windows 2000 native, but I can not change this b/c it thinks that their are still domain controllers that are using versions earlier than Server 2003. My question is, how can I make it realize that there is currently only one DC that is server 2003, b/c I think if I can fix this problem, the other server will join the domain, or at least allow me to run adprep from CD 2.

Actually, I figured out how to raise my functional level to Server 2003, and everything seems to be falling into place as well, but thanks for the help.

I've not seen the level of a domain be a problem with updating the schema - I would be concered you have 2000 domain controllers left OR some may have not been properly removed frm the domain.

Did you run the second CD's adprep on an existing DC or on the new server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back