Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble adding computers to domain... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyberWolf

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2003
US
I am getting an error message "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials" when i try to add two different computers to the domain. I have been able to add several other computer to the domain, but when ever i go to these two then it gives me the error. these computers are set up the same way as all the others.
All of the computers are windows 2000 Pro, except for the server which is Windows 2003 .NET

Any ideas what might be happening, and how to fix it???

Thank you in advance..

Unfortunatly, Those Links are if you are trying to connect a network drive, but I am trying to move the computer from a workgroup to the domain. I have done several searches in google and everything I find in conneting the drive. Just like in those links. Is there anything else that you might know of??

Thank you for trying...

If the machine is already a member of a workgroup that is the same name as the domain you are joining, you can get this message. Change the workgroup name to something else, it does not matter what, reboot, and try again.
Keep us posted...ok

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

The workgroup and the domain are named completly different. The workgroup is the same as all the other machines before I moved them to the domain.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Those are saying the samething that was said earlier. Those two links are for network DRIVE shares, I am not trying to share a network drive. I am trying to move a computer from a workgroup to a domain. So far I have moved about 20 computers and there are two that give me the error stated above...

Any other suggestions???

On the server, go to Active directory Users and computers. If the 2 computers exist in Compuetr folder, delete them, then try to join the domain.

To check on this, bring up a command prompt on your Windows box and type net use. If it lists any connections to the server, do net use \\servername /delete and try joining the domain again.

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

And make sure you are using a domain administrator account to join the computer to the domain, or any other with the rights to do it.

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

From what I remember it is not in the list, but I will run that command when I get to work in the morning...

Thanks for the tip.

I've had this exact berror before, it drove me nuts. The solution was to REMOVE the network cable, then log on to the computer locally i.e.

User
PC1 (This computer)

Once you have logged on and are at the desktop, reconnect the cable and add the computer to the domain as usual. Worked for me 100% on about 15 PC's. Advice to remove the computer names above is wrong, you DO want the PC's in AD, it's the logon that is causing problems.

Like i thought, the computer was not already in the domain list. So i still tried the net use command to remove it, just in case. It gave me errors on that one. then i tried what STUSSY said. I removed the network cable and logged in all the way to the desktop, then plugged it back in. I tried to join the domain and it WORKED!!!

YAHOO!!

Thanks for your help...

Thanks, Stussy! I was having the same problem as SyberWolf, and your solution works like a champ. Thanks for the post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back