Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble adding a new domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleh2

Technical User
Jul 31, 2006
US
The original server 2003 acting as the domain controller needs to be replaced but I cannot make the new server 2003 a domain controller. I can join the new server to the domain, when I try to make it make it a domain controller I am getting this error message: "The operation failed because: the active directory installation wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared to install server 2003. Use the adprep command-line tool to prepare both the forest and the domain, the version of the active directory schema if the source forest is not compatible with the version of active directory on this computer." I could understand this error if the one server was 2000 but both are server 2003. All service packs and undates are installed on both servers.

Is the new 2003 server running R2? If so, this could be your issue. You may have to rerun adprep from the 2nd CD of Windows 2003 Server R2.

Astros- good call, that did it. Own you one, you just saved the day......

Thanks- Heath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back