Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trivia Question Re: TDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommDude

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
US
I was asked today what TDY stands for and I'm sorry to say I don't know. I see TDD and TDY used together as a defacto reference to devices for the hard of hearing. TDD definitions I've seen include: terminal display device and telecommunication device for the deaf. I've yet to see what TDY stands for outside of a stock symbol or in military references to temporary duty.

Anyone know what TDY stands for?

I have only seen TDD (Telecommunication Device for the Deaf) and TTY (Text Telephone) used. Text telephones are abbreviated as "TTY" in the U.S. because they originated in technology used for teletypewriters. (See from Gallaudet University for more information).

TDY has no other meaning except Temporary Duty (or Temporary Duty Yonder), to the best of my knowledge.

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

Interesting list.
Now did you notice that there are enough that have more than one meaning?
Also thought it interesting that TTY isn't even on there, its been around for a long time.

Hmmmm... well, here's my best guess... TDY was actually a misinterpretation for TTY that stuck; "Tee" & "Dee" being soundalikes and TTY being some variation on teletype. Don't know if this is right, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :) Thanks all for the input!

...or it could be I've once again succumbed to over complicating a simple problem... how about teletype (TTY) - duh - or, as SF0751 pointed out, "text telephone"... I should have read SF0751's description more carefully as it was right on. Geesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back