Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triskaidekaphobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Does anyone have any stories to share?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Yes, but would a triskaidekaphobe want to be on a plane or a ship on Friday the 13th?

Granted, Santa, that if timed correctly they would skip the 13th altogether. But it is doubtful that the timing would be perfect enough to avoid any part of Friday the 13th.

But if you are just a triskaidekaphobe, why would Friday the 13th be any more troubling that the 13th of any month, regardless of the day of the week?

Now, friggatriskaidekaphobes on the other hand....

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

John said:
Now, friggatriskaidekaphobes on the other hand....
Sounds immoral to me.<grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

@anotherhiggins

This backs up what I saw on a History Channel show... That unlucky association with Friday the 13th dates back to the end of the Kights Templar, who saw something like 1,000 of their number arrested throughout France on Friday, October the 13th, 1307 AD (Old Style).

Triskaidekaphobia"...not to be confused with "Triscuit-deck-aphobia", the fear of a stack of 52 Triscuit wheat crackers/biscuits falling on you, causing slight injury.<grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Ugh, Dave.... that was bad... even for you. ;)

Really... I would have expected something like that from Tim, but not from you!

;)

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Thanks for the link, Lunatic.

It strikes me as funny that your nick is "Lunatic" and we're talking about Friday the 13th. Because everyone knows that the only thing worse than Friday the 13th is a Friday the 13th with a full moon.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

To add to it... I was at 30,000+ feet twice on Friday, October 13th, 2006 ;p

Thankfully no one on my flights made anything out of it. Though my co-workers ranted about the people on their flights who wouldn't shut up about it.

For what it's worth, my calculations confirm CorBlimeyLimey's assertion that there are 688 Friday 13ths in any 400 year period.

The most interesting thing about the calculation is WHY the slight bias toward Friday 13th persists over the centuries. It's because in the Gregorian calendar there are an even number of weeks in 400 years. There are 97 leap years and 303 regular years during the 400 year period for a total of 97*366 + 303*365 = 146,097 days = 20,871 weeks. Thus the pattern of Friday 13ths that began on Jan. 1, 2000 will repeat itself starting on Jan. 1, 2400.

Some day in the distant future the Gregorian calendar will fall a full day out of sync with the actual length of an Earth year. That will require a special one-time leap year adjustment. The new 400-year repeating pattern will then produce only 684 Friday 13ths, which as CorBlimeyLimey points out, is the minimum value.

Jack the Ripper" has 13 letters, but I seriously doubt that his mother was Mrs The Ripper, so I don't think it really applies. From what I've heard, the person(s) who came up with that claim really had to stretch to force some of the serial killers' names to be 13 letters.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Friday 13th October 2006...

I was watching a Queen tribute band in Mano's Bar in Magaluf. [rockband]

I danced so much that I gave myself Plantar Fasciitis, and I'm still limping and taking anti-inflammatories..[cry]

Chris

Rule Two: What's in it for me? - My Dad

Tracy

Agreed... Using proper names in some cases rather than commonly known names and vice-a-versa. Using middle name in some cases but not others.

Take for example the two in Gooser's thread on another forum I haven't asked to join...

1. john wayne gacy
2. theodore bundy

The examples are inconsisent. John Wayne Gacy and Ted Bundy were the popular names in media. However if you want to use proper names then it would be Theodore Robert Bundy which is more than 13.

This is like the statician that runs 50 variations of a model until he/she finds the one he/she likes. If you play around with it long enough you can make it fit, but you've destroyed the integrity of it.

Tracy,

You and I both used the "Jack the Ripper" example 20 minutes apart in two different forums. Not that's spooky.

Great minds.... Er, something like that anyway.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

To be perfectly honest, I got the 13-letters-in-their-names and Jack the Ripper bit from Craig Ferguson's late night show of Friday the 13th. I thought what he said about it was interesting, and true, so I remembered it.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.