Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triskaidekaphobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Does anyone have any stories to share?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CC said:
Does anyone have any stories to share?
I thought it was baaaaad luck to share Triskaidekaphobia stories on Friday the 13th, especially in the same month as Hallowe'en !

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

When I was young I was attacked by a pack of wild thirteens. It was like an episode of Sesame Street from hell. I've been afraid of them ever since.

Is that the kind of story you're looking for?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

All the people who get bad luck on Friday the 13th -- I collect their luck and use it throughout the year.

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

Is black cat crushing your windshield with an empty bucket good enough?

For those who care...

10/13/2006

Sum the digits

Ahhhhhhggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! [yawn]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

OMG!!! 13!
I just heard on a radio this morning that all the serial killers had 13 letters in their names.

Here's what Snopes has on the origins of "Friday the 13th".

->all the serial killers had 13 letters in their names

Well that is just patently silly.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

I heard friday and the thirtienth of a month is a more frequent combination than any other day of month and week.

That can't be true. There must be as many friday 20th or thursday 12th, as there are friday, 13th.

The real frightening day is today - saturday, 14th - , when you need to clean up the mess from the previous day.

Bye, Olaf.

OlafDoschke:
or thursday 12th, as there are friday, 13th.
I think I can say without fear of contradiction that Thursday the 12th and Friday the 14th both happen exactly has often as Friday the 13th.

<facetious>
Unless, of course, there is a month with only 12 or 13 days in it.
</facetious>

All:
Shouldn't we be talking about friggatriskaidekaphobia?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

Shamelessly copied from a thread in Eng-Tips;

Over a 400 year period the number of times the 13th falls on each day is as follow:

Sunday 687
Monday 685
Tuesday 685
Wednesday 687
Thursday 684 Min
Friday 688 Max
Saturday 684 Min

It's to do with the quirks of our calendar system.

[Cheers]

As the 13th Assistant Cracker Baker, and being a bit sh**ty at the job, fearing me was oft called "Trisket Aide CaCa Phobia." I barely escaped; a company was formed to catch me:

"NabHisCaCa"....

er, Bob

[blue]_____________________________________________
"As a former farmer, I measure my produce in onces."
[/blue]

My worst experience last Friday was reading thread1256-1289489. ;-)

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I don't recall where it was, but I once read a mathematical proof that the 13th of the month is more likely to fall on Friday than any other day of the week, at least with out current calendar. As noted above, it has to do with the quirks of our calendar system. The days of the week always advance the same, the days of the month do not, since they don't all have the same number of days. And since non-leap February is the only month with an even number of weeks in it, oddities are bound to occur.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

I met my ex-wife on a Friday the 13th. 30 years later (17 of them divorced) I'm still trying to figure out whether that was bad luck or not. (We remain friends to this day.)

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

It's surely bad luck to be supersticious.

And even worse when you are not sure you can spell.

(I'll get my coat)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Yes Tracy, I think being married for 13 years to someone you met on a Friday 13th might well be regarded as pushing your luck. However, as you still remain friends, you obviously got off lightly.

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

Hmm... ex's... I have one of those.. LOL....

I figure I made (most of) my mistakes the first time around... the second time is going MUCH better.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

What puzzles me is what actually happens to people who suffer from Triskaidekaphobia when Friday 13th comes around. If you're frightened of spiders, all you have to do is run away as soon as you see anything with eight legs. Likewise, if you are afraid of heights, you just avoid mountains and tall buildings.

But how do sufferers avoid Friday the 13th ? Time machines are in short supply, so you can't conveniently jump forwards or backwards in time to avoid it. You could try to reduce the length of it by jumping on a plane to get to a time zone well ahead of the current one. Or do you take a 24 hour sleeping pill to get you through the day ?

I seems to me that Dagon has hit upon a business opportunity for a cruise line: Offer "Triskaidekaphobic Cruises" that depart Samoa or Tahiti (or other tropical ports eastward) in enough time prior to Friday the 13th to reach the International Date Line at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday the 12th, then cross effortlessly into Saturday the 14th on their way to either Tonga, Fiji, or other points westward.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.