Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trim Left Totals Group By problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvmbark

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
US
I'm using the following expression to trim text preceeding "TECH REC" in a Text field:

Left([ALERTtxt]![Description],InStr([ALERTtxt]![Description],"TECH REC")-1)

I'd like to use this field with Totals selected - Group By, First, etc. but I get errors with each. If I use Expression it says it's not part of an aggregate function. With Group By, First, etc. it says Invalid Procedure Call.

Could someone help me out with this?

Thanks!

Mike

SELECT ALERTtxt.[A/C] AS Tail, ALERTtxt.Alert, ALERTtxt.ATA, ALERTtxt.Status, Left(ALERTtxt!Description,InStr(ALERTtxt!Description,"TECH REC")-1) AS [Desc]
FROM (ALERTtxt INNER JOIN [Alert tbl] ON ALERTtxt.Alert = [Alert tbl].Alert) INNER JOIN [Alert compliance tbl] ON [Alert tbl].Alert = [Alert compliance tbl].ALERTNO
GROUP BY ALERTtxt.[A/C], ALERTtxt.Alert, ALERTtxt.ATA, ALERTtxt.Status, Left(ALERTtxt!Description,InStr(ALERTtxt!Description,"TECH REC")-1);

Does every value of Description field contain TECH REC?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

That's it! Every record should contain TECH REC, but it could be miss-keyed (as it was in this case). Would I use an IIf function to remedy this? If so, could you show me how I'd set up the evaluate part of the expression? If it doesn't contain TECH REC, then I want to leave as is.

Thanks!!

Mike

This expression will error
Code:
Left(ALERTtxt!Description,InStr(ALERTtxt!Description,"TECH REC")-1)
You need to either filter out the records without the TECH REC or add an IIf() to not subtract the 1 if the value is not present.

Try it.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

You may try something like this:
SELECT T.[A/C] AS Tail, T.Alert, T.ATA, T.Status
, IIf(InStr(T.Description,'TECH REC')>0,Left(T.Description,InStr(T.Description,'TECH REC')-1),T.Description) AS [Desc]
FROM (ALERTtxt As T
INNER JOIN [Alert tbl] As A ON T.Alert = A.Alert)
INNER JOIN [Alert compliance tbl] As C ON A.Alert = C.ALERTNO
GROUP BY T.[A/C] AS Tail, T.Alert, T.ATA, T.Status
, IIf(InStr(T.Description,'TECH REC')>0,Left(T.Description,InStr(T.Description,'TECH REC')-1),T.Description);

Anyway, why an aggregate query without aggregate function ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

PH,

"why an aggregate query without aggregate function ?" - I was eliminating fields from the query to determine where my problem was. The aggregate function is actually being used to capture the most current ActionDate from a details table...

SELECT ALERTtxt.[A/C] AS Tail, ALERTtxt.Alert, ALERTtxt.ATA, ALERTtxt.Open, Max([Alert compliance tbl].[ACTION DATE]) AS LastActionDate, ALERTtxt.Status, [Alert tbl].Description
FROM (ALERTtxt INNER JOIN [Alert tbl] ON ALERTtxt.Alert = [Alert tbl].Alert) INNER JOIN [Alert compliance tbl] ON [Alert tbl].Alert = [Alert compliance tbl].ALERTNO
GROUP BY ALERTtxt.[A/C], ALERTtxt.Alert, ALERTtxt.ATA, ALERTtxt.Open, ALERTtxt.Status, [Alert tbl].Description;

Your expression works great. Thanks!!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back