Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trigger will not fire event

Status
Not open for further replies.

leidad

MIS
Jul 7, 2000
US
I created a procedure that executes an ALTER USER statement and it works when I run it stand alone. But then I created a trigger that is supposed to fire off this procedure when a before update event on a column of an oracle table takes place. This table is application specific, so I am testing this through the application process. I know the column updated, but the procedure didd not execute. I've got the system privs set to execute any procedure. Created a public synonym for that procedure. <br>Is there a way to trace this event so I debug this problem further. Thank u for yur time. Leida.

Maybe the Trigger doesn't have access to the ALTER ANY USER permission&nbsp;&nbsp;(or whatever it's called).

I didn't think you could do this kind of thing in a trigger - or in any pl/sql block. Aren't you restricted to DML statements unless you explicitly prepare and execute DDL or Alter User (can't remember the TLA&nbsp;&nbsp;for that) stuff? <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

You go through dynamical plsql block using dbms_sql,dbms_open etc stuff. Because plsql tends to be early binding we cannot issue dml commands<br><br>

dcmreddy,<br><br>Sounds interesting - could you elaborate a bit?<br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back