Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trigger between databases error

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanPike

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
GB
I have 2 SQL servers on a WAN, I have linked them as 'Linked Servers' and have set up a trigger on a table in one of the databases that when I insert into that table it writes the values inserted out to the other database.

However when I run a query to insert into the table I get the following message:-

The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

I know it sounds a bit like replication but once I get this working I want to go further than just copying entire tables etc.

I would appreciate any pointers anyone can give me.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Enterprise Manager and right-click on the Source Server that the trigger lives on. Go to "Connections" and see if checking both the selections in the "Remote Server Connections" area does the trick.

You may want to look at Log Shipping or Replication if you plan to go further with this type of processing.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Jay
Have tried this but to no avail

Thanks for the help

Regards

Ian Pike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back