Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tried to create a huge volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwang99

MIS
Jan 7, 2003
US
Folks,

I tried to create a huge file system(more than 300GB), But I always got a error messages:

pvcreate writing LUM read I/O error.

DO you know waht kind of problem it is? and what is the limitation on large volume/filesystem for HP-UX 11.00

Thanks

Peter

It is a filesystem limitation. Which filesystem are you using (HFS, JFS, VxFS)? I believe that VxFS has a 1TB filesystem limitation.
Also, there is probably some patches that might address this, so you might want to check out HP's site to see about that.

crowe

I seem to remember that there is a limit on the number of physical extents, which is defined at the volume group level when the volume group is created. I wonder if this might be the problem?

What is the size of the physcial extent for the volume group you are putting this filesystem into? You may have to make the physical extent larger to accommodate the number required for a filesytsem that is 300 GB.

300gb must be no problem either hfs jfs or vxfs. looks like
physical disk problem. did you initilize disk?

patel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back