Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tried to change domains and now can't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

kotis

ISP
Jul 5, 2003
US
We have two domains at work. I used to be on one, but moved departments and changed my domain. The old domain was americase and the new domain is americasw. Everything I have is on americasw, including my Exchange account, but since I appear on some lists as being on the old domain, people sometimes send information to the old domain, so I attempted to delete that. Unfortuneately, it turns out that I was being authenticated on the old domain, even thou
gh all my accounts are on the new domain. The IT group has re-established my account on the servers, but my notebook still can not connect properly because something apparently is corrupt or out of date on my notebook. Using his notebook, the IT guy was able to logon to the network and to exchange server by setting up an account for me on his notebook from my office. (thus I believe the network databases are correct, and the problem is in my notebook).

I can get onto the network by disconnecting from the network, booting in stand alone, then connecting. (my notebook is authenticating with the cached do
main name (the old one). Then when I reconnect I get a username, password dialog and I put the new domain, username, and password in. It usually takes 4
or 5 attempts to authenticate but once it accepts I can do my work.

The IT dept wants to wipe the disk and do a reinstall of Windows2000. But it will take a day for them, and a day for me to get things reinstalled and customized.

What can I do short of wiping the disk?

The first thing to do is to take the machine off the domain and temporarily put it in a workgroup.

Have the IT guy remove the computer account from AD Users & Computers.

Reboot.

Then rejoin the domain. Your IT guy will have to do this using an administrative account.

This will usually solve the problem.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

In addition to dearingkr's comments if possible try uninstalling/reinstalling NIC & network services (tcp/ip) reeboot when required...

this shld slv ur issue

Also Have the IT guy ensure that your old account has disappeared from DNS on the original domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back