Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TreeView "Open new Window" URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolMama

Programmer
Jan 19, 2006
US
I'm creating an ASP 2.0 (C#) page using the new TreeView Control. Some of my links should open in a new window for better navigation. However, the HTML coding doesn't seem to create a new window. Is there a special way to make it work?

Code:
<siteMapNode url="PFFOFF/search.asp" [red]target="_blank"[/red] title="Search"  description="Search Policies and Procedures" />

Dawn

Some of my links should open in a new window for better navigation
Actually, the HTML 4.0 Strict and XHTML 1.0 Strict recommendations of the W3C no longer include the target attribute of the <a> tag so the idea of it being "better navigation" is probably not adhered to by the people who set the standards.

I'd agree with this as well - why force me to open one of your links in a new window? Why not give me the option and if I want to open it in a new window, I'll do it manually?

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

I'm not sure which part of that article link refers to opening a new window. I'm guessing you mean

Code:
siteMapNode url="PPC.aspx?cat=WinMobile"

but I don't know what that is. I did a search on [red]?cat=[/red] and got nothing.

Dawn

This looks like I'm setting it up so all node URLs are opening in a new window.(?) Maybe I'm just confused.

There are only certain links that should open in a new window. If the link is part of the website, then there is no need to open a new window. If it's an external link, then I want it to open in a new window so people don't have to keep hitting BACK to return to the main website.

Dawn

So why don't you apply the logic suggested above to only the nodes that you want?

As a user though (and I'm sure many more users would agree), I'd be more inclined to leave your site for good if you forced me into something rather than giving me an option (and there's also very good reasons why the standards are reflecting this). Most users are perfectly capable of opening a link in a new window themselves (if they choose to do so) so why not give them that option?

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

I'm building an intranet for a hospital. Most people here know very little about computers. I'm constantly being told I have to assume our users are "dumb" and to spoon-feed them everything. As aggravated as I get with that philosophy, I still have to follow it. I do not want people coming to me complaining how they had to close the browser and start all over to get back to the main site. [3eyes]

Dawn

Code:
So why don't you apply the logic suggested above to only the nodes that you want?

That's just it...I'm not seeing the logic.

You have...to...go...very...slowly...with...me. [dazed]

Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back