Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Treesize

Status
Not open for further replies.

gudguy

MIS
Nov 8, 2002
US
Just asking everybody if they have installed Treesize or any other tools on disk-usage report.

Before I install treesize, I would like to know what .DLLs and other files this tool overwrites or copies and also what registry it tweaks.

I'm afraid to install this freeware too on production servers, but at the sametime we need some tool for disk-usage.

Thanks in advance.

You really don't want to use Treesize on an Exchange server!
It runs pretty clean, but requires alot of resources while running and indexing has to be ON!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

as far as i can remember you can install treesize on your client and browse to your server - on your client you will need to map a drive to your c/d etc on the server

oh yes, that is what you should do, open up your entire server with a share ?!?!?
That is just plain crazy, sorry to say so!
If it is to check an Excahnge server, the only folder that will change are the mailfolders and the logs, which you can easily check manually.
Besides, if you are afraid the server is filling up, then it is high time to increase diskspace BEFORE disaster strikes.
On the other hand, if you want to control it, use disk quota.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Hi all,

Treesize is pretty good I would strongly recommend to all administrators out there.

There are users in my client's network storing prohibited files such as .mp3, .avi etc. on the network shared drives.

Using Treesize helps a lot to tabulate a report and moreover, it also list down the owners too!

Check them out!

rgds
libroos

Where do we download Treesize?

Hold on! This could Hurt! I ain't certified by Microsoft!

Thanks

lbroos, like I said it is good, but is DOES NOT belong on an Exchange Server! Neither do the other files.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Hi marcs41,

Depending on the needs, but the Treesize Pro is a pretty good tool for administrating the files on file and print server.

Can always install on client workstation and scan the Server using network shares, though it would take up some resources on the Server during the scanning.

Rgds
libroos

So either way, Treesize should not be on an Exchange Server, pointed at an Exchange Server or discussed in an Exchange Server forum.

<signature for rent>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back