Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tree or server cannot be found. Choose a different tree or server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juzeppy

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
Hi everybody,

I installed the NW client for Win95/98 ver 332 (downloaded from the Novell website.) On a pentium Win95b workstation. The main server is running NW 4.11

I get the message "the tree or server cannot be found. choose a different tree or server."

I the computer can see the tree but cannot access it.
(When I try to choose a server from the login screen I get a message "cannot access tree...")

I checked the bootlog on the workstation. There is a "failed" entry for ndis2sup.vxd , vshare and sdvxd.

(The workstaion previously had microsoft client for Netware installed and was able to login. I upgraded because there were many "failed" message in the bootlog and there were conflicts with vredir.vxd file- Which the upgrade did fix, but caused a login problem.)

any help will be welcome,
thanks,
-j

First, what version of the client are you running?

Secondly, have you tried rebooting the server? It actually does help in some instances. Otherwise, check the properties of your client and make sure it's 3.32. If not, go ahead and update it. I have the same workstation op. system and occasional problem as you. Updating the client helped some and now I just need to find the correct patches to fix the server side. A temporary fix, though, might be to down the server and reboot it. Try that and see if it works.
Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

What protocols have you got configured? You need to ensure that IPX is configured for the Novell Client as NetWare 4.x uses IPX to communicate. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Hi,
The workstation has ipx 32-bit protocol for the novell neware client, and ipx/spx compatable protocol. I looked into these protocols properties. The frame type is set to auto. The bindings under both protocol entries are checked to include Novell Netware client. I'll tried unchecking the Novell bindings from the ipx/spx compatable protocol- I still get the same message.

The server is in constant service. I'll try to avoid rebooting if I can.
I will try a patch that I found at the novell.com site document ID 2959460 "3.3 client hangs Exceeding disk restrictions"

-j

Have you checked Network Neighborhood properties to verify that the microsoft client for Netware isn't still running? Or did you just add Novell client 3.32 without disabling the microsoft client? It's entirely possible that the two clients are interfering with each other, causing the computer to be indecisive as to which it needs to find the tree / server.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

Uninstall the NetWare client and run the Cleaning Agent to completely clean it up. Then install the NetWare Client again. I believe you will work after that...

Good Luck!

Where do you find the cleaning agent? A quick search only found one for Groupwise. Thanks in advance.

I used a program called unc32.exe that came with the client software (it was an earlier version of client and was in a folder called ADMIN)

I still have the same results , "can't find tree or server"

I would suggest reinstalling your network card drivers, maybe updating to a newer version. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I needed to use the workstation so I decided to go back to the original microsoft client for windows (which did work).

I removed everything and reinstalled ms client, ms client for nw , tcp/ip.

After the reinstall; I had no network connections at all, (microsoft or novell.) I could not ping, not even 127.0.0.1.

I realized there was something wrong with the NIC card

I reseated the network card in a different PCI slot. When I rebooted, all my network setting were back as they were before I installed NW clint 332. The network connections are working now.

Hopefully next time I upgrade the NW client I'll have a fully working nic card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back