Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trbl networking laptop & PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanGlas

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
I have a Laptop and PC connected to my wireless broadband router. My PC is connected to the router with cable. However, my Laptop is connected wirelessly. I have gone through windows to try to set up a network connection between the two computers to create a work group. I go through all the prompts and insert my XP CD in the end. I restart my computer and I still don't have any connections. When I go into my network places and click on view workgroup computers I get the following error. "Student Traders is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." Any ideas??

RyanGlas, can the machines ping each other or the router? Can they ping any web site by name or IP address?

Yes they can both ping websites. However, the IP addresses can not ping one another.

Any firewall software running? This includes XP's built-in firewall and firewalls installed with your anti-virus programs.

Yes my firewalls in my network settings are running. If I disable the firewalls won't my computers be a easy target to be hacked though?

Your router will protect you from inbound attacks if it performs NAT. A software firewall won't hurt, though. What firewall software are you using? There may be a way to configure it to allow access from your lan.

I'm just using the firewall that in on XP pro. Nothing special. I will disable the firewall on both computers.

The XP firewall is quite limited. It really won't do anything above and beyond what your router is doing.

now that I have reinstalled XP on my PC I thought that this might help solve the problem of why I can't setup a network. However, it didn't help. I have removed the firewall on both computers in XP and still can not connect. Any other routes that I might be able to go?
thanks!

Make sure on both computers that Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing is enabled.

Make sure on both computers that for the lan adapter properties setting, TCP/IP, that obtain an IP address automaticly is checked, then under Advanced, WINS that Netbios over TCP/IP is checked and LMHOSTS is unchecked.

Share something on both computers. A folder, a printer, just something.

Now if you click My Network you should see both machines.

Oh, and enable 'Guest' account on both machines from Control Panel, User Accounts.

It would be worthwhile to add on both machines the other username and password if used by the other network client machine.

This did not work. Why would I be getting an error saying, "Student Traders is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."?????

Did you make your computer a member of the Workgroup Student Traders? right-click My Computer, Properties, Computer Name, Change, and see if you have the Workgroup name in there correctly.

Yep. Both computers are in the same work group. STUDENT TRADERS. Checked the spelling and everything.

I just went in and changed both of the names just to workgroup and it still didn't make a difference. Same error message just different workgroup name.

If all the following are true:
1. The Workgroup name is identical
2. Client for Microsoft Network on both machines
3. File and Printer Sharing, both machines
4. Netbios enabled over TCP/IP, no LMHOSTS file
5. TCP/IP set to obtain addressing automaticly
6. A share of something enabled on both machines
7. Guest account enabled on both machines
8. No firewall of any kind on both machines. (Just disabling the Firewall is not enough. It must not load. Use MSCONFIG to make sure it does not load for non-XP native firewalls.) XP you can uncheck to disable.
9. Link lights on both NICs and both router ports where they are connected.

It will just work.

Do an Ipconfig /all from both machines and make sure they IPs look something like 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 at the machines.

Darn it, I forgot something very important.

When the computer starts and you are given a login screen, you must either enter a password (if one is set) or hit the Enter key if one is not. If you hit Escape or Cancel you will not be enabled for network access.

Also, make sure that you are using different 'computer names'

Also, did you disable Simple File Sharing on the Folder properties of any of the machines?

right-click on the C: drive of all the machines in My Computer and choose Properties. Check the Sharing and Security Tab. If there is a Permissions Tab in place then Simple File Sharing is disabled and you need to add Guests and Everyone as permissable groups. Make sure you give them full privileges. Or, launch Windows Explorer (not IE) and from the Tools, Options, Folder Options, View setting look for the nearly last entry for Simple File Sharing and enable it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back