Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

traverse data table via stored procedure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rq

Programmer
Jun 13, 2002
US

I am required to populate an integer field using a stored procedure. This field resides in an SQL table that contains thousands of records. Normally I would use an UPDATE statement to perform the task of filling in the value for the whole table. What is the efficient solution to this? I'm thinking of creating a stored procedure to copy the table onto a cursor, access the record, call the stored procedure to update the integer field and then fetch the next record.

No, never use a cursor to update unless the value for the record is dependent on the value of the previous record. Cursors are horribly inefficent and should be avoided as much as possible.

What is the alternative if cursors are not the way to traverse the whole table for an update?

Write an update statment that updates all the records in one pass.

Update table1
set field one = field*1.1
where field1 >100

This would update all the records intehtable in one pass which have a value greater than 100 in field one.

If you wanted to update based on a comparison with the values in another table:

Update table1
Set field1 = table2.field1
FROM table1, table2
WHERE table1.id = table2.id
AND table1.price > table2.price

I'm aware of that approach. The issue is I need to update the field using a stored procedure. This stored procedure genrates a value. Can the SET clause (of the Update command) accept a call to a stored procedure?

YOu could return the value of the stored procedure to a variable and use the variable in the update. Or are you saying that the value will be differnet for each record?

Inthat case, you should use a user-defined function instead of a stored procedure to generate the value. Those can be used directly in the SQL statement.

Yes, the value will be different for each record. Thus, the user-defined function is what I'm looking for.

How do you call a user-defined function within an Update statement? Is it something like this --

Update tablename
Set fieldname = functionname()

yep, of course you would add any input parmeter values in the ()

So you could have something like:

Code:
Update table1
Set field1 = dbo.myfunction(table2.field1)
FROM table1, table2
WHERE table1.id = table2.id

You must use the pwner prefix if a table returns a scalar value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back