Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transposed Query Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

everest

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a question about querying environmental data so that it is transposed (sort of).

I have an Access table with three fields, Element/Chemical, Date, and Result.

For example, I have:
Element Date Result
------- -------- ---------
Iron 2/1/03 10
Iron 2/2/03 20
Zinc 2/1/03 10
Copper 2/1/03 10
Zinc 2/2/03 20

This is a simplified version of the table that I'm working with. In the real table, I have little more than 130 different elements/chemicals and about 5000 records. Our company has developed some kind of data analysis tool to run in Excel but the data needs to be formatted differently.

Basically, I have to put it in this format:

Date Zinc Iron Copper
2/1/03 10 10 10
2/2/03 20 20

In a sense, the data is sort of transposed, but the transpose function in Excel won't format it in this manner. Since there are only 130 different chemicals, I could probably do it manually, but just asking to see if there is an easier way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Everest

Check into the help files for crosstab queries.

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Code:
TRANSFORM Max(tblTest.Result) AS MaxOfResult
SELECT tblTest.Date
FROM tblTest
GROUP BY tblTest.Date
PIVOT tblTest.Chemical;

I used max here but use whichever aggregate Fn you need (perhaps Sum() or Last(), etc). If there is only one, Max works nicely.

With the data you have provided I am unsure what you are needing in the transposed table. Are those values supposed to be averages or sums?

The data in the transposed table needs to be unique/individual data points. To get around this, I just checked (counted) to make sure that each date has only one instance of a chemical/element. Then I just use a max,min, or average. Should return only one value for that field.

I used the crosstab query as JeremyNYC mentioned and it somewhat gets the job done.

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back