Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transparent taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brimestone

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
CA
My 76 year old dad got a lap top, his first computer. The problem he has is the taskbar on Windows7 is transparent, unlike other versions of windows, if a window is opened to the fill size of the screen, and this one program has a button that is behind the taskbar you can't click it and can't move the window so the button is no longer behind the taskbar. Can you make the taskbar a solid, so windows only open from the top of the screen to the top of the taskbar?
I can see the button but you can't click it, and before you say it, you can't change the size of the window and scroll to the bottom.

Thanks

Computers are like a bag of hammers, they won't do a damn thing until you pick it up and SMASH something with it!!

Hi,
Right-Click the taskbar, choose proerties and be sure the 'Auto-Hide the taskbar' box is checked.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

thanks, i'll try that

Computers are like a bag of hammers, they won't do a damn thing until you pick it up and SMASH something with it!!

I've noticed 7 has a buglet in this area. If you right click the taskbar and select properties the 'always on top' option is no longer available. So, I assume that is the default and you can't change it.

That said, you can slide a window under the taskbar! Which you couldn't in XP. A maximised window should never go under the taskbar, but it does on occasion. I haven't figured out why, But I have discovered that if you restore the offending window, change its size slightly and then re-maximise it then it no longer goes under the taskbar.

So, if you don't like an auto hiding taskbar and many people don't, give this a try.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

The Taskbar Properties now have a setting for moving the Taskbar to any location (edge) of the screen which would permanently, or temporarily, move it out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back