Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transparent backgrounds again 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonLF06

Technical User
Oct 29, 2008
I want to montage small photos onto a large one. I erase the background of the small photos, but they only erase to white. I need feathery edges, so a clipping path is not appropriate. How do I erase a background to transparent?

...press and hold alt/option key, double click the layer that is a locked "background", then anything you delete becomes transparent...

andrew

That's the one – so simple, and I'd forgotten it! And with the eraser set as brush, opacity can be lowered for partial transparency. Thanks a lot.

Thanks Spamjim. Have never got my head round masks and it's past time I did.

Masks are actually really simple. If you remember back when you were a kid at how they had you make a pinhole into a piece of paper to watch the eclipse, masks work in a very similar fashion.

A crude example of this would be to take a photograph and a white piece of paper and cut the paper to have a square hole. This is now your "mask." You can glide the mask around the image and it shows ONLY what is in the hole.

See? Simple! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back