Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TRANSPARENCY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanbun

Technical User
Aug 18, 2006
US
I have a gif image that is a red circle, which contains some red content (not much). Everything else is white. I want to get rid of the white so that I can plop only the red into another image. Right now, when I copy the image, the white obliterates everything under it when I paste it. To me, I need to make the white transparent, but so far I haven't been able to do that using either PSP 9 or Photoshop. The image has only one layer (background), and I can't figure out how to add a layer (if that's what I need to do), or how to just copy the red and save it as a new file. Anyway, can anybody point me in the right direction. I have been able to create transparencies before, but for some reason this is giving me fits.

Here's a slice of the image. It's transparent here (HTML), but when I paste it into another image, it is not.

Is there a way to save just the red and paste that into another image?

testgif.gif

Thanks.

Download the "Remove White" plug-in filter from . That'll help you remove the white background.

Layers sometimes behave differently depending on whether they're a "Background Layer" or not, so if your background-layer-only pic is misbehaving, try right-clicking on the layer in the layer pallette and select "Promote Background Layer" to make it a normal one.

I don't know why you're losing the transparency when you paste, but one solution would be to paste as a new layer (Ctrl-L) and then apply the above-mentioned filter to it to remove the white.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

In PSP9 - Make Transparent image at least the size of your GIF or a little larger.
Drag (paste) your GIF onto the transparent image.
Use your background eraser to erase the white.
Save it as a PSPimage and you can paste it onto any image you want.

You can also open the image in Animation Shop, choose replace color, select white and choose transparent. That will do it as well.

Margaret

You could paste the image onto another layer and set that layer to "Darken" or "Multiply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back