Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transparency of object through a solid box. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamnomar22

Vendor
Jun 5, 2009
US
I've been struggling with this for days and can't quite get it. I have a basic image consisting of a solid box in the back ground with multiple rings on top of it. I can make the rings transparent, but it still shows the box in the back ground through the rings. I need the rings to be transparent all the way through - as if it were a cookie cutter through the box.

I've messed with the live paint bucket to try and color inbetween the rings, but once I do I cannot drag the "cut" box away without it filling in the entire box again.

Thanks for the help.

...without seeing the artwork in question it can be incredibly difficult to propose the best solution for the need...

...vector files can be very complex in structure with combined effects mixed up layer upon layer...

...it could be that you need to employ a clipping mask somewhere, or possibly something more involved, so really your best posting a link to a screen shot of the artwork in question. That way it will hopefully be easier to assess instead of chucking random assumed solutions at you...

...better still, would be to post a link to download the problem .ai file, or even a low res pdf file, unless the artwork is of a sensitive nature...

andrew

...your options are to either, color the rings the red/orange that you need, essentially a tint of the red, without any transparency involved...

...if you do have to use transparency on those rings, then you need to make a copy of the rings above the box and physically cut through the box using the pathfinder function "minus front" (window > pathfinder palette)...

...then, with the other set of rings on top of the cut through box you can make them transparent...

...so layering would be (from the top), if you need the rings to be transparent:

1. transparent rings

2. copy of rings to be able to cut through the blue box using the pathfinder function "minus front".

3. the blue box, ready to be cut through with layer 2 above.

4. the red background.

...so by selecting layers 2 and 3 together you apply the pathfinder function "minus front"...

andrew

...worth noting that the "minus front" command doesn't have to be committed to actual separate paths or shapes...

...it can also be performed whilst still maintaining the possibility of editing later down the road into a compound shape layer, in CS4 you press "alt/option" key as you press any of those four shape modes in the pathfinder palette...

...i can't remember in the lower versions of illustrator, but i think this function might be the opposite way around, in that the alt/option key commits to paths or shapes instead...

andrew

awesome. Thanks. But you are speaking a completely different language. I just started using this last week and am not that savvy with it yet. I'll take all these notes and try to make what I want. The picture you sent me was exactly what I was looking for, I just don't quite understand your directions yet. I'll keep on keepin' on though. Thank you much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back