Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transparency Images Not Working Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunytic

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
US
on a site I'm working on there are several images in shared borders that have transparent backgrounds. Often, when the page first loads, the entire image goes transparent except for the black/outlines. Is this a common problem? It seems to duplicate itself in Netscape 4.7, 6.somethin, 7.01, IE 4,5 & 6.

Then when I hit refresh/reload it comes up normally.

Thoughts?

If it doesn't happen to you hit refresh/reload a couple of times, sometimes it does appear correct, then on refresh or moving to a new page it acts up again.

Thanks

Which image(s) in particular? I only see that the state seal has transparency. I am not seeing this problem, even after reloading and visiting other pages (I'm using Mozilla and IE6 on Windows XP).

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

Sorry, I wrote the question refering the re-design I am working on. There is only the seal on the site version that is live. My apologies.

This is really weird, maybe it is just our site that does it then. It happens to me on every machine I use here. Including this one (IE 6.028).

Okay then, I'll just assume it only happens to me and life is good. Thank you.

Yeah, that is weird. I just tried it on my home computer, Win XP Home with Mozilla and IE 6.0.28, and it works fine here as well.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

Seems unlikely that this problem should only happen to your site. More likely that there's something funny about the images (are you using PNGs? support for them is pretty flaky), or something funny about the way you're using them.

However, it's impossible to determine what's going wrong without seeing what you're doing (and, incidentally, seeing whether we get the same fault). Could you post the page in question somewhere publicly visible?

-- Chris Hunt

- this is the current version, I'm working on the next incarnation of it, but they both have the same problem... I just added another image that causes the problem again.

The image to look at is the State Seal on the top left.

If it doesn't do something funny, try following a few of the navigation links.

Someone on another board suggested adding ' border="0" ' and that seems to prevent it on refresh from going crazy, so now it is only when I load the page the first time.

Thank you for your help and thoughts.

Well it's working fine for me (IE6,Windows 2000) and I can't see anything peculiar in the markup. Maybe it really is "just one of those things".

Since you're re-working the site anyway, here's a couple of comments about it (feel free to ignore/reject them):
[ul]
[li]The logo-in-the-top-left-being-a-link-to-the-home-page is such a widespread convention that it's probably the most adopted de-facto web standard, so I was really surprised to find that state seal taking me to another site.[/li]

[li]I love the way you've used all those trees as a background, but it's spoiled by the white border around the outside. You can fix this in CSS like this:
[tt]
<body style=&quot;margin: 0&quot;>
[/tt][/li]

[li]I find the white background quite harsh against the green of the trees. A more earthy tone would be easier on the eye (and fit in well with the subject).[/li]
[/ul]
Hope you find the above constructive, even if I can't solve your problem.

-- Chris Hunt

The trees are gone on the version of the redesign I have, the image is too light/dark contrasting (light font colors dissappears as does dark font colors), a much more uniform background replaces it, making it easier to choose font colors (but it still maintains much of the feel).

I did already change the white, I actually placed a super-faded image there, which breaks it up nicely.

I did also added margin=0 to the test version also.

The state seal in the top right was a piece I inherited, that may change, it may not, thats for my boss to decide, but I hadn't thought of running that by him. I'll do that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back