Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transmission speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2002
US
I would like to copy about 15GB of information from my pastor's laptop to mine in a relatively short period of time and I've been trying to think of the best way to do this. I don't want to install any software on his computer if I don't have to. And I'd rather not mess with his network settings or mine since this will probably be a one time thing. I am wondering what the best method might be to do this. This is what I have researched already, but I want your opinion before I spend any money.

I could buy this USB data link cable for $19, but even thought the throughput says 480Mb/sec, the ad says it will only get about 15Mb/sec.

My laptop doesn't have IrDA, but I would buy a USB to IrDA adatpter like this one for $26 if I had to:

I read that IrDA can reach speeeds up to 115Mb/sec. and I know Windows automatically brings up a file transfer wizard when it detects infrared, but how good is it really? I doubt if his laptop has bluetooth, but if it did, how is that for speed. I don't think his laptop has 802.11 either so ADHOC would be out of the question. Maybe laplink via parallel (I think I read that parallel is 10Mb/sec.) If I did my math right, I should be able to transfer 15GB in about 1 hour using a parallel laplink cable. Give me some ideas.

<><

Does his laptop have firewire? This would be much faster than USB.

I would not go the IrDA route, I serioualy doubt whether you get anywhere near 115mb'sec! I would be surprised if you a 1/10 of that!

The best way would deffinatley be to use a crossover cable. Why dont you want to mess with the network settings? It takes about a minute to set a static IP, just note down how it was before...

If you have to go with one of the options you mentioned, id use USB.

if your conversant with computers why not slave your HDD to his and use Ghost to clone the drive info you want to your drive, most effective, but time consuming to set up, good luck anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back