Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Translate to tsql 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmclane

Technical User
Apr 14, 2004
US
I have an Access Query that I would like to run directly in Query analyzer. Here is my query:
Code:
UPDATE MonthVitalAuth iif(Left([MonthVitalAuth]![CardNo],1)="3", SET MonthVitalAuth.CardNo = Left([MonthVitalAuth]![CardNo],1) & "xxxxxxxxxxx" & Mid([MonthVitalAuth]![CardNo],12,4), SET MonthVitalAuth.CardNo = Left([MonthVitalAuth]![CardNo],1) & "xxxxxxxxxxx" & Mid([MonthVitalAuth]![CardNo],13,4));
I would like to know if this would run as is or if it needs to be changed. I haven't built the db yet, just trying to look ahead. Thanks.

- If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
Mitch Hedburg

You will have to change this.

There is no iif in tsql, you will need to use a case.
The Left and Mid(SubString in sql) functions will need to be changed also.

Can I find this in the "Books on line" ?

Mitch Hedburg

Absolutely.. That will be your best friend for a long time while learning SQL. I am always going back to it. Take a poke around and look for string functions and the Case statemtnt. If you have more questions, this site is great to get answers. Lots of good SQL people here..

Thanks.

Mitch Hedburg

Another thing to remember...SQL Server doesn't have FORMS, so it won't understand what this is:

([MonthVitalAuth]![CardNo]

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Yes, I actually knew that. I wasn't sure about the iif and hadn't even thought about the string functions. Thanks again. Now I need to reload server 2003, SQL server and Reporting Services. Then Import all the data, about 40 GB's worth in 5-6 tables. Took me three days last time then I was told to erase it all because of the credit card numbers. Nobody thought about xing them out. Duh!!

Mitch Hedburg

OK here is mt SQL code, which is not working:
Code:
UPDATE [MonthPictureAuth].[dbo].[ARUMonth]
CASE 'Substring([CardNumber],1,1)'
When "3" Then SET [CardNumber]=SubString(CardNumber,1,1) + "xxxxxxxx" + Substring(CardNumber,12,4)
Else SET [CardNumber]=SubString(CardNumber,1,1) + "xxxxxxxxx" + Substring(CardNumber,13,4)
I get the error "Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'CASE'" when trying to validate. I'm obviously missing something. Can someone point out my error please?

Thanks, Ken.

Mitch Hedburg

Remove the quotes wournd the case statement. Also, SQL Server uses single quotes to denote a character string. So use When '3' not When "3

I can't seem to get the case statement to work, but I can run three different queries that do what I need. I Have 5-6 tables I need to run these against, once a month to make sure Everything is truncated, is there a way to automate running a bunch of queries? I also think I need to put in a check for x's so I don't waste time on records that have already been processed. Thanks.

Mitch Hedburg

You can set up an automated job though enterpirse manager. You need to create a DTS package then you can schedule it to run when needed.

The idea of flagging processed rows is a good idea especially if you have lots of rows to deal with. I suggest using a bit column. Update it to 1 when processed, otherwise it is 0.

I was thinking of just using my where clause to check Like this: Where Substring([cardnumber],1,1) = '3' AND Substring([cardnumber],1,2) <> 'x'

Would this work?

Mitch Hedburg

Since you say that you are running all seperate queries not instead of the case statement, yes that should work.

Cool, so if I save all these separate queries to .sql files I can set them to run as a DTS package? Or do I need to string them all together in code somehow? Thanks, Ken.

Mitch Hedburg

FYI, you can re-write your original single query like this:

Code:
UPDATE monthpictureauth.dbo.arumonth
SET cardnumber = CASE
	WHEN cardnumber LIKE '3%' THEN '3xxxxxxxx' + SUBSTRING(cardnumber, 12, 4)
	ELSE LEFT(cardnumber, 1) + 'xxxxxxxxx' + SUBSTRING(cardnumber, 13, 4) END

--James

James, can I include my exclusion in that so it skips rows that have already been done? Also I havent seen "END" in any of the examples in the books on line. Is that needed?
Ken

Mitch Hedburg

Yes, END is *definitely* needed.

Yes, you can include your exclusion.

Just saving this to a .sql file is not enough to run it. In order to put it into a DTS package that you can schedule you will need to copy and paste the text into an Execute SQL task in a DTS package that you create.

Unfortunately, explaining how to create a DTS package is a bit much for a forum like this. Look up DTS in Books Online and you should be able to get started there.

HTH
Eva

I take it rows that have already been done will be ones which contain an 'x'?

Code:
UPDATE ...
SET ...
WHERE cardnumber NOT LIKE '%x%'

The END keyword is needed to complete the CASE expression.

--James

Thanks, I wonder why they left it out of the examples? Nevermind I am looking at UPDATE, not Case right now. Duh! Thanks again!

Mitch Hedburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back