Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transitions work with mpg but not avi

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenshaw

Technical User
Oct 12, 2003
GB
I am new to this software so please be patient with me. I am having problems with transitions and playback in the program window. Transitions work when uing mpg files, but not with avi. Use mpg I hear you cry. However, playback of footage from the timline using mpg is 'stuttered' ie not smooth, whereas avi playback is fine. I am running XP, a reasonably fast processor (athalon 2000) and 256RAM. I have searched the forum but nothing has helped. Thanks

Most MPG has extra compression which makes frame by frame editing rather tricky. Premiere is not normally able to handle mpg files unless they have been specially configured.

When you apply your effects and transitions, do you render before trying to view? If not, ensure the work area bar covers the area of interest and hit the Enter key.

Alternatively, try holding down the ALT key (PC) and scrubbing to see the completed video on the computer screen only without sound.

I do render before trying to view. I have noticed that the preview indicator area only turns red around the area of the transition, whereas when it worked for me using mpg's the whole length of the preview indicator area turned red (and then green when rendered). I've tried scrubbing and still end up with just a black screen:(

The reason why MPEG all required rendering was probably because the selected project output format was different from the MPEG format.

I wonder if your AVI-related project settings are illegal for AVI frame sizes.

Check the settings viewer and resolve red entries.

Be aware that the DV CODEC only allows a very small number of legal frame sizes. Other selections will result in black output. Safest to use a preset to match your output requirement.

I've checked the settings. There are two differences.
The video mode setting in capture is 'DV/IEEE1394 capture' whilst the others are 'Microsoft DV AVI'. Also the field settings for my imported clips are 'unknown' whilst the others were 'lower field first'. I hope this helps shed some light.

There is an issue with your captured material. Normal DV capture retains 'lower field first' settings for the clips.

Is there anything unusual about your captured material that you are aware of? Have you tried other material, maybe from a different source camera?

If everything else is OK, then a possible workaround is to apply a 'do nothing' filter (eg HLS with neutral settings) to force a complete render into the output CODEC and field settings. Worth a try on a small sample.

Cheers, thanks for your help Akribie. I'll have a go at your suggestions.

Hi, I am somewhat new at this, could you explain how to apply the filter.... I have a problem... and I have written a question about it , I have a deadline to meet, so I am desperate..I hope darrenshaw doesnt bother me asking akribie with my own thread, if that is so I do apolegize, I think I have the same problem as darrenshaw...but I dont have any red areas in mu setting wiever..here is my thread:

Hey everyone

I have a problem, as many other fine peaple here...

the thing is , I am working with premiere 6.5.

When I work with tutorial files (files that came with my premiere cd) everything works fine....the tutorial files are either in quicktime format or in avi format....

soo I desided to capture some of my own files... from a dv cam... and saved them in the original format (that is , I just captured and saved, in whatever the default format was, but I believe it is uncompressed avi) now when I work with them, I can't apply any transitions or anything , it doesnt work, and when I try to look at the preview window in any of the transitions ánd video effects etc. there is only a black window...if I press alt and drag the timeline, you know when your supposed to preview the video effect or transition that you have applied before rendering the timeline area, nothing happens, just a black window..

please help me, I am standing before a deadline .... I have to finish editing the film that I have filmed before next wednesday.

how can I make my own captured movies, to show in the preview window in any of the transitions etc. and so that I can apply some transitions or effects..... because its not only the preview, when I render the work area, it turnes black when it comes to a cross disolve transition for instance.

could be any codecs that I have to download, or something, I have a few installed , every other file that I worked with that I didnt capture workes great, even the trailers that I download from the internet, even those files could be edited without any problem. but not the files I need, that is the files that I have taken with my own DV cam, and then captured exactly like adobe premiere manual tells me to do.

please help me!!

------------------

A million thanks in advance

with regards /defx

Check the settings viewer and resolve any red entries on the video side. Don't fret about audio warnings.

I suspect that your output frame size doean't match the CODEC, so safer, probably, to load a default setting via 'Load' that matches your project footage than make your own settings - unless you are a confident user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back