Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transition split database to a web-app

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXMold

Technical User
Jul 22, 2008
I have created a ms-access 2000 program, but I am wanting to move parts of it (and eventually maybe the whole thing) to a web based application. For some reports, basic queries, or simple data entry, this will be much faster than the large and slow front end I have now. I would also like the ability to remotely execute code for sending email and moving files.

I would like some suggestions on how to approach this. Should I consider making the new pages in ASP? I am already running a PHP/MySQL/IIS/SQLExpress intranet server that I would like to utilize for this expansion. I'm sure I can figure out this ODBC voodoo I heard about for linking to the access database... but thats about all I know.

Can someone outline the basic steps and obvious pitfalls to what I want to do?

First step - upsize the access database (data only) to SQL Server or MySQL (your choice, doesn't matter which). Then use linked tables to test your app works with an SQL Server or mysql back end. It also means you can start developing your web app by using this database without removing the ability to use your access apps.

Either asp, asp.net or PHP would be able to do the web interface, choice really depends on your own expertise in developing, testing and maintaining your application.
I would avoid using ASP (on its own), instead look at asp.net instead if you want to use the Microsoft toolset.

John

Thanks for the tips.

I have been playing with ASP trying to connect to the ms-access back end and I'm finding that its very easy if the file is local to the web server, but quite problematic on a network share. AD user authentication is a breeze with IIS.

I'm editing in notepad now, but I assume there are better ways. Is there a free ASP.NET editor that you would reccomend? Is the differnce between ASP and ASP.NET simply the x in the file extension (along with the syntax and program structure differences of course)?

I have been considering a MySQL transition, but I'm afraid that my front end (a kludge really, because I learn as I go) takes advantage of too many things specific to ms-access tables, queries, and sql syntax. I'm even uneasy about MS-SQL Express. I was hoping to keep the backend as ms-access until the front end could be abandoned, is this a bad approach?

Don't you have to link an access database to an explicit \\server\drive\folder when using it as a back end?

I've done similar projects, created a Helpdesk app at work and found it easier to do the project using SQL and (Classic) ASP from the start, you can then link using Access to pick up data and format queries, etc.

I use SCITE text editor, same as Notepad but with text formatting as I'm rather sloppy when it comes to closing tags!

Cheers,

Jon

Don't you have to link an access database to an explicit \\server\drive\folder when using it as a back end?"

Yes, but the web server application (asp) that is running and trying to access the access file is the default IUSR_XXX account with no network privledges. If the file is local, it works fine. I haven't felt inclined to sort out the permissions yet, because I'm trying to authenticate with IIS/AD which *should* allow access to the backend with the users credentials, but I think it doesent work that way. Anyway, that parts not important.

I have decided that I need to substantially rework my front end within access to untangle some problems I created, and normalize my data better, before I move to ASP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back