Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transition problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CVic

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
SE
Okay, this is really driving me nuts!

I'm trying to use the Cross Dissolve transition, but it only works with some of my clips!
The problem is that it doesn't render the transition. It just "cuts" between the clips like there's no transition applied. It even doesn't render in preview or "Alt" mode.
And yes, I have placed both clips in the Video 1A & 1B tracks.
The strange thing is that If I'm trying to use the Additive Dissolve transition, everything works perfectly! But there's other transitions that doesn't work either...

Forgot to tell: I do have browsed through this forum but I haven't find any solution that works! :/

Have you tested using two different sets of clips, with one set of clips longer (at least 10 seconds) than the other set?

-Volkoff007

I have two clips - each being 2 secs long.
If I'm trying to use transition with one of these clips together with a long clip, it works perfect. But when I try the other clip, it just don't work! Premiere just refuses to use transition with this clip, what the heck is going on here...

The clip is probably too short. The transition will eat up some of the clip time and with only 2 seconds it may not even attempt it.

-Volkoff007

Thanks for reply, but as I said, the other clip I tried with is also 2 secs long and it works great.

Yes, both clips cannot be so short. At least one has to be long. Premiere will realize one is longer and eat up more of that one.

-Volkoff007

You know, if you just want to crossfade from one 2-second clip to another you can do so by using the opacity rubberbands. I do it all the time:

faq230-3344

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

I do the same thing as Edward. Simple opacity change with rubberbands works for me too. But I use Premiere 6.0. I hear that there's a problem in 6.5 with the rubberbands? Are they still there in 6.5? I haven't seen a reason to make the leap to that version yet.

Hi

I don't want to crossfade between two 2 sec long clips.
I have first a one minute long clip. If I'm trying to fade between that clip and a 2 sec clip it won't work.
Then if I choose another 2 sec long clip to fade with the one minute long clip it works fine!

...and the strange thing is that some of the transition effects works, for example the Additive Dissolve and Dither Dissolve, but not the Cross Dissolve! :-/

It doesn't matter if it's a 2-second clip or a 1-minute clip or a 2-hour clip. You can crossfade from anything to anything using the opacity rubberbands. You can characterize the crossfade if you like, making it linear or a curve or any shape you like. Your crossfade can be one frame long or two seconds long.

Put your 1-minute clip on, oh, Track 2. Then put your 2-second clip on track 3. Expand Track 3 to reveal the opacity rubberbands. Joggle them as you wish to fade from the 1-minute piece to the 2-second piece. If you want to preview the cross-fades, hold the ALT key down and place the marker at various locations.

I mean, that'll do everything you've asked for, right?

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Your alternative may work, but I want to use the Transition effect and I really want to know why it is behaving like this!
Seems like a huge bug to me...

I have put up a screenshot at
The right Cross Dissolve transition works great, but the left doesn't render.
Do you see anything on that screenshot that prevents it to render?!
If I replace the left transition with Additive Dissolve, it do render. If I replace it with Dither Dissolve it does NOT render.

Have you tried overlapping the clips more just to see if that's it?

-Volkoff007

I can't really see much detail.

When I started using Premiere, I tried using the transitions all the time, but it drove me nuts trying to figure out which transition operated in which direction and so on. So I went to using cuts and fades-with-opacity-rubberbands and I've never looked back.

So, from what I can remember of transitions, there should be a little arrow on it. In this case, the arrow should be pointing up. If it isn't, click on the arrow.

I can't remember if transitions had some minimum overlap time. That would be profoundly retarded and I would not expect that in Premiere. I sorta vaguely recal that transitions had a minimum time when you placed 'em on the timeline, but then you could drag their duration to whatever you needed.

The thing I did with my transitions that often worked was to decide to screw it and simply delete the transition, and then drage a new transition from the transition window (it'll snap-to position). This basically told Premiere to refigure out what it was doing and often worked. Note: A transition isn't quite like a clip, you can't just easily cut-n-paste 'em.

All of those little headaches is why I use opacity rubberbands now. Everything is really, really obvious.

I can tell you with 99% certainty that it is not "a huge bug". It is a wetware issue. The transition is doing exactly what you are telling it to do. [smile]

Tell you what -- feel free to use the opacity rubberbands to get the job done until you figure out what your transition problem is. [lol] They also show you how to do this in Exercise 11 at
which is a pretty handy document.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

You're right on point. Try pulling the transition up (double click) and click the arrow. Sounds like you want to go from A to B, but it's pointing from B to A. You can also use the slider in this window to see what the transition will look like.

chadd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back