Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transformer Cubes Doubling in Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achaaran

Programmer
Jan 19, 2005
CA
Hi everyone, just a quick question and I hope someone can help.

We have cubes that generate weekly, and they increment slowly by the week, until one day, the size (in MB,) just doubled out of no where.

Is there a particular reason for this?

Thanks!

Are you serious? I would expect this on a Nintendo forum, but not here.

Sorry, couldn't help myself, did you really expect anybody to be able to come up with an answer based on the information you provided?
How about some clues - are the cubes built incrementally or from scratch? Have you determined that the number of categories in your dimensions is reasonably stable? How many dimensions are there? How is the cube partitioned? What if any data sources are common to the cubes which exhibit this symptom? Do all of your cubes exhibit this symptom? Are your cubes compressed? You say "one day" this happens, does the cube then shrink again, or does it double again later? Is the period constant (like, does it double with the month end build or something like that?)

Throw us a bone, man...

achaaran,
Possible that someone's been bigging up your data? I had descriptions that doubled when the DBA decided to combine a couple of fields and that maxed out the cube.

almeids,
You made my day, man. [smile]

Thanks billnted...I'll look into that and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back