Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TransferSpreadsheet Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyWong

Technical User
May 19, 2002
US
Hello All,
I am using Access 2000. I am using the feature TransferSpreadsheet and if the path of the spreadsheet is
present then the database works fine. If the spreadsheet
path is not the same I get the VBA Run-time error as such:

Run-time error '3011'
the Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object
'C:\TBLCLINETBLANK.XLS'. Make sure the object exists and that
you spell its name and the path name correctly.

How can I fix this problem with a message for the user to
ensure that the spreadsheet path is present at the designated
location. Thanks in advance for assistance.

Try this:

If Dir("C:\TBLCLINETBLANK.XLS")= "" then
msgbox("The file is not at ...........")
Else
<your normal processing code goes here>
End IF

Ken

Hello Ken,
Thanks for your response. I tried it and is working just great! I having a different problem in that when the
user enters data into the spreadsheet and skips any number of lines when I import the spreadsheet into the database it
carries over the number of lines. How can I just have only the data and not the added skipped lines?
Thanks for your assistance and quick response in advance.

You could use a delete query to remove the blank records after they have been imported.

Delete * From <tablename> Where <Fieldname> is Null;

Ken

Hello Ken,
Thank you so much for your response. You're right I could have a delete query to clear the null field on the table. Why couldn't I have thought of it. Still a newbie?
Again, I appreciate your quick response and Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Benny

Hi kewo99!
How do I write the If command when I have two files that needs to be checked for filepath or names.
I mean something like
If Dir(&quot;C:\TBLCLINETBLANK.XLS&quot; OR &quot;C:\TBLCLINETBLANK2.XLS&quot; )= &quot;&quot; then
How do i write so that it checks that both files are correct when I press the actionbutton??

thanks

Hi Marlun,

Since I do alot of checking for the existance of files, I use a simple User Defined Function called FileExists() which returns True if the file exists and False if not.

Function FileExists(PathFile as String) as Boolean
FileExists = len(Dir(PathFile))>0
End Function

Using this for your example to check for 2 files:

If FileExists(&quot;C:\TBLCLINETBLANK.XLS&quot;) And FileExists(&quot;C:\TBLCLINETBLANK2.XLS&quot;) Then ......

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back