Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring the Approach DB to a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberfreek

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2002
US
I have SmartSuite 9.7 on a Windows 98 workstation. I just purchased a server and would like to transfer the DB and have the ability to access the DB from multiple computers.
I moved the DB to a shared folder on the server and attempted to open it but once it realizes it no longer exists in the previous location then the browser pops up asking me to locate the file. I pointed it to the new location and I'm able to open the file. Unfortunately, I have to go through the same process each time I want to open the same file.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

The full path & filename of each dbf is saved in the apr. Move the apr and data files to the same folder on the server. If the apr can't find the dbfs in their saved location it will look in the current folder before you're prompted to browse to the dbfs.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Both the .dbf and the .apr files are saved in the same location. What I just found out is that when you go to design mode, right click on a button and view the definition of the macro, the default location is C:\CCC_MainDatabase not I:\CCC_MainDatabase.

After you answer the questions about locating the files in their new location, save the Approach file and that will save the new location information in it.

Sue Sloan
XpertSS.com

Hi,

I had run some test and found the following:
This error occurs if you copy only the APR to another directory and start it, before you copied the DBF's etc.
Approach will start the APR and looks into its own directory for the DBF's. If the DBF's not in the local directory Approach looks into the last known directory. If Approach didn't find the DBF's there, it comes with the search screen.
As soon as it has found the DBF's, your application will start. In this case it seems, as if everythings ok (maybe a little bit slow), but thats wrong, because you are working whith the APR on your new location (your server) and the DBF's on your old location. If you are now switching to DESIGN MODE, change something in your APR file and do a SAVE APPROACH FILE the DBF path is set to the OLD location. You can check this using the Approach File Properties Command (File Menu).
In future your application ever starts using this path, even if you meanwhile have copied the DBF's to the new directory.

The only way to prevent this situation is to take care to copy all application related files to the Directory where the APR resides, before you start, design and save your application.

Lu

Suesloan.

Thank you for your response.

When I transferred the data to the new location, I copied all of the files associated to their Aprs and it still pops up with the search window. Basically, I just copied the entire folder that is currently being used with the current database that contains all of the files. What I did find out recently, was if you change the macro definition to reflect the new location, it works. But this will be very time consuming because I have to change every apr and there are many APRs. Is there a simple way to do this task?

Unfortunately, answering the search windows question, did not resolve the problem. Once I exit Aproach and launch the application, it reverted back to the previous location.

Hi cyberfreak,

sorry, but I think I misunderstood your question.

You say:
>I moved the DB to a shared folder on the server and >attempted to open it but once it realizes it no longer >exists in the previous location then the browser pops up >asking me to locate the file. I pointed it to the new >location and I'm able to open the file. Unfortunately, I >have to go through the same process each time I want to >open the same file.

Does this mean, your application finds the DBF's, but cannot start another APR which should be startet from within a macro? Perhaps you can give a short discription of the structur of your application. Looks as if it's more complex than it seems at first glance.

Lu

That is correct. It turns out that there are many macros that point to other aprs. I guess you can avoid this pointing to other dbfs instead. And because of this setup, I had to manualy change ach macro definition to reflect the correct path to each apr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back