Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring Movie Files, etc to Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibredbeard

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2005
GB
Hi,
Is there a way that I can find out who is transferring movie files, mp3 files, etc to the network? And after I find them, eventually prevent it from happening again? I have done an audit on the specific share but have not really come up with anything as descriptive as "file xxx.mpeg has been transferred by user CDS888" or anythign like that. Hopefully there is a way! Thanks in advance.

In the security settings of the file, who is the owner?

hahaha, I feel so stupid. I was so concerned about security and audit and crap that I forgot the simple way! Sometimes I am surprised I don't forget to breathe! Well, that did help with one question, is there an answer to the second (how to prevent users from uploading these files in teh first place?) Thanks for the reply pgaliardo!

I'm sure there is a way to do it via GPO, but I've never done it. Maybe using strict, small quota limits? Since movie files tend to get large perhaps that could deter the users.

Thats a good Idea, I will go have a look at that now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back