Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring large amounts of data causes server to lose connections??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
When we attempt to move, copy, or otherwise transfer large amounts of data from our file server to a NAS or other networked device, the server will lose its network connection (It has two NIC's, both will fail). Rebooting the server restores network connections, but disabling NIC1 or NIC2 and then trying to enable them fails and displays an error message of "Connection Failed!" Is there a reason that a file server (or any machine for that matter) will periodically lose its network connnection? The cards have the latest drivers and we stay relatively up to date on the Windows Updates. Thanks!

I'd first see if disabling and re-enabling the cards resolves it rather than a reboot.

Verify that the power settings for the NIC does not allow the OS to turn it off.

Verify that you have turned off Autodisconnect

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

The disabling and re-enabling of cards does not work; it is that action that produces the odd error of "Connection Failed!" which I have not been able to gather much information. The only power settings I can find in the Advanced tab of the NIC's are Wake On Settings which is OS Controlled, and Wake On Link Settings which is Disabled. I ran the net config statement which completed successfully. I will continue to check....Thanks

Cool, good luck. Note too that you should run that command at the client (or other server) end as well on any 2K, XP or 2K3 machine.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I'm guessing that these are 1000MB Nic cards. If so, try changing the link speed down to 100MB Full Duplex. I've noticed that if your using CAT5 or even CAT5e on a 1GB Nic card sometimes you might have connection issues.....

regards

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back