Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring First Server Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBarn2

MIS
Apr 19, 2002
US
All,

I am getting ready to do something really bad. I am supposed to split one Windows 2K/Exchange 2K domain into two domains in separate locations. Currently they have a frame-relay between the offices, but the companies have decided to separate and I need to clip the connection and keep people working.

I have most of the things worked out as far as the FSMO roles transfer to keep AD working right and the e-mail namespace is not a problem because they each have their own namespace.

My thought is to just cut the connection and then remove all references to each others servers in AD and transferring the roles for AD to another AD server in the other site.

My problem is that I cannot find any articles that describe the easiest way to capture the roles for RUS, Schedule+ and the likes for the Exchange server at the site that will not have the roles.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Red Barn 2

Top line:

Backup server using ntbackup.
Backup server using Backup Exec / preferred backup solution for both store level and brick level.
Exmerge all mailboxes (depending on size).
Stop all Exchange services and copy EDB and STM files.
Install Exchange in other location.
Mailbox move the users so they are on the right server.
Replica the public folders so they are on both.

Make sure both sites have GC.
Make sure both sites have DNS.
Make sure both sites have ADDC.

Sever the link.

Sort out FSMO roles for Inf Master, Schema Master and RID Master on other site.
Make PF store primary on other site.
Delete PF replicas.
Delete other site in ESM.
Create site link bridges if applicable.
Sort out bridgeheads and SMTP connectors.
Remove servers that are no longer part of the org from Exchange. Repeat for AD.

Test email including emailing to remote site.

Sounds about right to me!

I'll let you know!

Thanks for the input!!!

Red Barn 2

Don't Panic! (Douglas Adams)

RedBarn2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back