Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring Data from one table to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynails28

Programmer
Jun 17, 2012
GB
I would like to know what is the syntax to move existing data from one table to another, for example tblAsset which contains Policy No (INT), PolicyStart(DateTime) and PolicyEnd(DateTime) Fields, I would like to refine this table and place this data in a new table of its own, e.g. tblPolicyInfo within the database.

What would the syntax be to move the fields from the tblAsset to tblPolicyInfo? I will require a FK to ensure that the data remains relational so that the data is linked to the correct record. The tblAsset PrimaryKey is AssetID and the new table tblPolicyInfo will be using the PolicyID as its primary key. Correct me if I'm wrong but the best way to link these two tables together would be to have an AssetID FK in the tblPolicyInfo Table. I'd obviously need to copy across the AssetID into the FK AssetID to ensure they remain relational, so that the data is linked to the correct record?

First, create your AssetID field probably as an Identity field.

Then you can use Select into statement to copy the structure and data from one table to anouther. See the BOL for the Select Into syntax.

Hope that helps

Simi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back