Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring calls to outside line 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilinkcomm

Vendor
Oct 19, 2005
US
Can someone help me out and point me in the right direction. A customer of mine is a small doctors office and are looking to be able to perform this in case of an emergency. They're hoping to be able to dial into their system and pick up an outside line to make external calls. I know there are security issues with this and I'm not going to make it as simple as picking an extension and then you get an outside line. The basics of it are to transfer to a phantom extension with is set to "forward unconditional" to "9" and that would give them the outside line. It works OK if I dial the "forwarded" extension from inside the office but if I try to go through the Auto Attendant, it doesn't pick up the outside line and after 8-10 seconds of dead air, the call gets transferred to VM. Another tech that is much more into the IPO system than myself mentioned I should forward to "9#" but that causes me to get a fast busy from Telco as soon as it picks up the outside line.

The system is IPO Essentials running 9.0.7.

Here is a trace of the trunk port:
8/31/16 6:25:39 PM-430ms Line = 2, Pre-Alerting
8/31/16 6:25:44 PM-996ms Line = 2, Alerting, Call Ref = 153, Caller ID Number =
8/31/16 6:25:45 PM-001ms Call Ref = 153, Originator State = Dialling, Type = Trunk, Destination State = Seized, Type = Target List
8/31/16 6:25:45 PM-010ms Call Ref = 153, Alerting, Extension = 201, Button = 6
8/31/16 6:25:45 PM-016ms Call Ref = 153, Originator State = Connected, Type = Trunk, Destination State = Connected, Type = Automated Attendant
8/31/16 6:25:45 PM-016ms Call Ref = 153, Answered, Auto Attendant MainDAY AA
8/31/16 6:25:55 PM-628ms Call Ref = 153, Originator State = Holding, Type = Trunk, Destination State = Held, Type = Automated Attendant
8/31/16 6:26:10 PM-679ms Call Ref = 153, Short Code Matched = System, 9N
8/31/16 6:26:10 PM-680ms Call Ref = 153, Originator State = Connected, Type = Trunk, Destination State = Connected, Type = Mailbox
8/31/16 6:26:18 PM-319ms Call Ref = 153, Originator State = Clearing, Type = Trunk, Destination State = Connected, Type = Mailbox
8/31/16 6:26:18 PM-319ms Call Ref = 153, Disconnect from Originator End

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

If they call from their mobiles enter their number in the Twinning tab and send the incoming call to shortcode FNE31, that way they'll get dialtone.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Janni78....I'm not sure I understand. They might be calling from their cell phones or house phones. I also forgot to mention they only have POTS lines.

POTS lines need to be enabled to allow trunk to trunk transfer. There is a checkmark for that

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Put the user in a sequential HG. Transfer to the HG.

Q: why are pirates so mean?
A Because they arrrrr.

This is not going to work, the "other tech" is also talking nonsense and should know better. FNE codes is the only way and they aren't supported on analogue lines or on calls from random origins, only VM pro would allow this :)

Exactly what sort of emergency are the customer envisioning that would require this?

Emergency implies that it is an unusual situation so why would they simply not place the call direct instead of trying to route through the PBX (which may not even still be operational).

Sometimes the role of a Vendor is to explain (in words of less than one syllable) why the customers request is not actually the good idea they think it is.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Westi...I forgot to mention I already had the Trunk to Trunk Transfer enabled.

Holdmusic...I just tried this and it doesn't appear x280 ever picks up the call. It just continues to ring. After trying to dial the HG, i then tried to manually dial x280 and it worked for internal calls but still not for calls coming from outside and routing through the AA.

IPGuru..for a quick explanation, we live in the North East (US) and the past few years have given us a few rough winter storms. The plan was that if the office was forced to close, they would be able to call into the office, access an outside line and then call their patients to let them know the office was closed. They would rather have the calls show the CID of the office instead of individual's cell phones. I know there are other ways of doing this but they aren't sure who would be making the phone calls and it might be multiple employees making the calls.

Well missed the part where they only have POTS.

In that case I guess you would need VM Pro to make a some kind of secure DISA function.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Why don't you enable a special mailbox with the needed information in that case?

How about setting a VPN into their office up and giving them a softphone, either an app on their smartphone or PC?

I've used a 3rd party SIP endpoint license to do exactly what you're trying to do. It's secure, reliable, and there's no faffing about with dialling into your system and trying to redirect the call.

I finally got it to work. I just had to create a short code and all is well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

What's the shortcode you used as I might need to enable it for a customer as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back