Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring a database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matevans

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
GB
Could someone help me regarding transferring a database to a different PC, also is it possible to transfer a 7.0 database to a 6.5 server?<br><br>Thanks

There are two ways:<br><br>1. Use sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db(Transfers the entire db)<br><br>2. Connect to the new PC,by registering the IP address.<br>   To register, open SQL EnterpriseManager, Right Click on <br>   SQL ServerGroup and go in for New SQLServerRegistration. Give the IP address of the new PC and register it. Then take a back up of the existing db in yr PC and force restore file on the newly created db.This will help you restore a db to the new PC.<br><br>please do let me know if it works.

The two servers are not connected therefore I cannot use the second option.<br><br>Could you please expand on how to use sp_detach, sp_attach<br><br>Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back