Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering DHCP and WINS to a new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofSketch

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
GB
I am in the process of decommissioning a load of my companies older servers, most things have gone off without a problem, I've now come to a wall

I have to transfer both DHCP and WINS services from one NT4 machine to another while keeping the original scopes, I've looked all over the place for instructions on how to do this, to no avail

If anyone knows what needs to be done, I would be most grateful Sketch[lightsaber]
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

DHCP is easy, you'll just have to come in on the weekend. Delete all leased IP's on the old server, then build a new server, and duplicate the scopes. Deactivate the old scope, and activate he new one. Clients should then get an IP address from the new DHCP server. If for some reason you run into a problem, the old server is still there, and you can easily reactivate the scope. After a week or two, remove old server.

WINS...question. Is this the only WINS server on the network? If not then you may be able to just set a new one up, and reroute replication to fill the new database...or....
just follow MS's suggestions!

I am also in the process of moving my DHCP services to another server. I tried this procedure and had no luck. When I try and renew my IP address I get an error that the DHCP server cannot be found. The DHCP service is running, I don't know what else to try......

If would stop dhcp on the server and start it on the new server. You should not have to move anything. Same with wins. The only thing that should be required is a reboot of the desktops. To play it safe you can email them a batch file with the ipconfig /release then have them reboot this way you will be sure everyting is released.

An obvious reminder, I know, but dont forget that caches (of various types) can often prevent this from being a seamless and instant operation.

You may need wait a bit (10 mins) between powering down the old DHCP server and powering up the new one. But done over a weekend or at night this should be a relatively smooth operation.

Good Luck

Pete...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back