Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering current DNA 5.1 Server to a New PC hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuxedopenguin

Technical User
Jan 9, 2007
ZA
Greetings,

I am not sure I fully understand the DNA 5.1 technical Guide with regard to this topic. So I hope someone here can describe this a bit better.

Under the Heading:
Transferring D.N.A. from one computer to another

Since I will use the existing media which was used last time the server was reloaded, I am absolutely sure that the versions are exactly the same, so for the first part I can just proceed - BUT
then it states and I quote
"to install a new D.N.A. 5.1 system on your new machine. Use either SQL Server 7.0 or 2000, Windows NT or 2000, but install with the same number of extensions, sites and extensions per site as the old system. Also set PMG database settings to the same as in the old system.
Note: After the D.N.A. Server has been installed, a full MD110 synchronization is required.
"
Firstly How do I determine exactly what settings were used before?
All I know is I have one node and Max Ext:500

Is there a split between digital and analog or are the two covered by the 500 ext license I already have?

The guide also refers to the DNASUITE.cfg, in this file are presets which can be modified, is it possible or necessary to acquire these settings from the existing server to use on the new server?

Is the License stored on the Server or on the MD110?
If it is stored on the server - where is it located, if it is on the MD110, do I have to reinstall it when I redo the server?

And finally my last question, when I synchronize the new Server with the MD110, do all the loaded extensions and groups get uploaded.

The reason I ask, is because I don't need the telephone records. I just need to keep the configuration of all the telephone extensions and groups currently setup on the MD110. And have the ability to continue using the system.

I would really appreciate your input

Kind Regards

hi

your extension manager license is for 500 entries. all extension are covered in this 500 entries into emg database.

you do not need to use .cfg file, it will ask during install if you have predefined file to use, skip this stage.

license is activated by license tool for 5.1 and you haven't got it, you have to go to a partner for it to be done. you also need service pack 1 for 5.1 installed.

when you run full sync all md extension data is downloaded to MSDE or SQL (you only need MSDE (free) for 500 records). This is all sync does, it runs print commands into md110.

your big problem is no to install, but that you cannot run any applications without license being activated. it is not like now with ELM and temp license for 60 days, licensing needs activating before use.

is it special day today? the day that dna5.1 finally dies? :)

best parnum

Is there a newer version of DNA?
Excuse me if this is a bit out of context. I started with this unit two days ago...

DNA5.4 is released, but it depend on what BC version your MD is. please log in TTY in MDSupport or EMG and send us CADAP; here for advise on if you can use DNA5.4.

best parnum

Hi,

it depends on what version your MD110 is running (CADAP; command will retrieve this info).
if you're running a loweer version than BC11 then you don't really need an upgrade of DNA. latest version is DNA5.4 and will no longer support BC11 (at least officially).

parnum : I think that DNA5.1 already uses ELM and not the separate licensing tool...

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Output of CADAP

IDENTITY=43-0200-3
VERSION=CXP1010043/BC11SP14/R4C

21:44:05
THU 11 JAN 2007
END

<

There must be some corruption here of some sort because in the
extention manager there is reference to BC12, I will quickly see if I can find where I saw that and get back to you.

you should check mdsupport-node setup and make sure bc11 is selected and apply then run full sync. this is where bc level is set for dna.

best parnum

p.s. remember sync is only to run print commands in md110, if format of command parameters changes between bc release sync will fail where changed (example maybe extra parameter in ADC, i have not checked for BC11/12 differeces, this is general comment) and it looks like data is corrupt because of this. but it is a simple fix to correct this.

Thanks for that note,

I resolved the loss of all my analog extensions. They are back now that I have switched the node back to BC11.

Thanks that very usefull info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back