Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering combo box values from one form to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaijin99

Programmer
May 25, 2004
US
I'm working on a database for equipment maintenance. Each customer can have several pieces of equipment, shown as a form with subform. Each piece of equipment requires a completely different maintenance record from every other piece of equipment. I want the user (the maintenance person) to be able to push a "Maintain" button on the subform and have the DB open the appropriate maintenance form for that type of equipment, and prefill the "Serial Number", "Make", and "Model" fields [1].

My problem is getting the fields prefilled. The appropriate form opens just fine, chosen by the value in the "Type" combo box in the subform. For whatever reason I absolutely cannot get the fields in the new form to prefill.

I've tried using a macro, and I get told that I'm refering to a non-OLE object as an OLE object. I've tried using some VB and no matter what I do, the VB will not find the proper fields in the maintenance form, it finds the right fields in the subform no problem.

This is with Access 2000. Any ideas?

Thanks

[1] Those three fields form the primary key, which is kinda necessary to link the maintenance record to the equipment record. I don't want the maintenance person to have to fill those fields manually.

GymRatPA,
Lots of info there about combo boxes, but I couldn't find any relating to multiple forms. Was I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

gaijin, on page one of the zip files is an access mdb titled 25comb7. download it, when launched it will sgow a dropdown box of 25 examples of combo box controls. one is single and multiple tranfers from box A to box B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back