Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transferable skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyZ1

Technical User
Mar 31, 2004
So i was reading a posting about transferable skills and in the IT industry I've noticed that employers need to be told what skills transfer, and knowing certain pieces of software mean you know other pieces.

Let's start a list, and I'll build a site that shows the correlation in skills.

will post if we get a good list of skills i'll start.

skills in Windows xp = mostly silled with windows vista

Jimmy said:
skills in Windows xp = mostly silled with windows vista
Does this mean, then, that you are Windows Silled? <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

nice catch, that's exactly what it meens....

JimmyZ,

Please don't let our "off-trackedness" discourage you from a worthwhile endeavor. I believe your "Skills-equivalency Matrix" would be very worthwhile.

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Sorry... didn't mean to send the message before.

How "granular" did you want to go? Because you could honestly do:

XHTML = HTML
DHTML = HTML
XSL = XML

looks like a good start. hopefully we can keep it going.

So as not to give false impressions, I propose that we use the symbol "~" to connote the meaning of "approximates" or "...is similar to...". I believe that "=" increases the susceptibility to argument when drawing relationships between two IT skills.

Now that I've built a case for using "~" to convey "approximation", I'll use the "=" for the following pair of skills:

Oracle's PL/SQL = Ada

...If you know PL/SQL, then you know Ada.

[santa]Mufasa

Database Design (Relational) = Oracle, Ms SQL, etc.
Database Design (Hierarchical) = AS/400, mainframes, etc.

"If I were to wake up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

I would change Oracle = MS SQL to PL-SQL ~ T-SQL, and the differences are syntax they can take a while to get used to The fact I Have to use Unique rather than distinct and Oracle has no TOP n along with where, how and what hints can be used. Also by saying Oracle and MS SQL to me you are conveying an understanding of more than just the Query language and I am sure DBAs on both sides will tell you that the Query language is the only part easily transferred.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Oracle's SQL ~ Postgres SQL ~ EnterpriseDB SQL

(And by "SQL", I mean the engine's query-language syntax.)

IMHO, MS SQL and MySQL SQL syntax generally take quite a bit of adjustment to run in Oracle SQL.

[santa]Mufasa

valid point. Was just trying to keep it simple... guess it was too simplified. I've had to write interfaces for both and the syntax is just different enough to be an irritation, but the base syntax is very much the same.

For example, something I wish MS would pick up, you can SELECT the next value of an AutoNumber ( SELECT NamedAutoNumber; ). Would be very useful at times.

"If I were to wake up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

I prefer something directioned like "->" rather than "~", because it doesn't necessarily work both ways. (Although knowing the piece on the right-hand side of the arrow is generally a good head start to learning the piece on the left.)

For instance, if you know VB, you can handle VBA, but not necessarily the reverse.

Also, there needs to be a disclaimer that this would convey general knowledge, but it still wouldn't be the same as a person who knows the subtle nuances.

VB -> VBA
(SQL + VB) -> Access
C++ -> C

I'm debating how well .Net languages translate to their pre-.Net counterparts. There's a lot of similarity, but a significant amount of difference as well.

what about scripting

vbs -> c?

i'm not sure, but the list sure is looking good

Using both those symbols might work well. "~" means a general similarity (equivalance is that a word ?) and "->" to indicate a hierarchial (directional) type of relationship (if you know A then you probably can work in B but not necessarily the reverse. It would allow the reader more detail about the relationships.

Paul

for sure, sounds really good, now we just need more.

and what about applications.

outlook -> groupwise -< eudora

not sure if thats correct, but i have worked in outlook and groupwise and know email is email.

KornGeek said:
I'm debating how well .Net languages translate to their pre-.Net counterparts. There's a lot of similarity, but a significant amount of difference as well.

Agreed. I am transitioning from VB6 to VB.Net 2005. As I'm sure some of you have seen my questions/posts, there are differences that make what would be a relatively simple move very frustrating. I would say from C/C++ to C# would be reasonable, but there's enough difference between VB6 and VB.Net to really cause issues. The same could be said about DTS to SSIS. Sure the basics are the same, but there are some changes between the two that can make it difficult.

DTS and SSIS are night and day if Anything DTS != SSIS.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back