Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundust1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I just installed a new drive. 80Gig WD. I installed it as slave and run the lifeguard tools to copy hard drive to new one. After install it will boot to C:/prompt. But, will not boot to windows. Checking to see if windows is on drive which is. How do i get it to boot up to windows. Do i have to use an imaging software like ghost or acronis transfer OS. I transfered the partition C:\ to the new drive. will this work. help

There is a selection to make new drive a new boot drive, is this what you did? and then a procedure to bring it online(rejumpering etc).

I have used MaxBlast for maxtors, seatools for seagate, & datalifeguard for WD. All have routines for making a new boot disk and all have performed well. 3rd party tools also do this same thing.

Did you rejumper the drive to mstr and move it on the cable to the last connector(replacing old drive)?

Are you installing this on te same PC that you cloned it from?

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I have swithched the jumper to mstr and connected were the old drive was. The new drive is Western Digital. So, i used the datalifeguard tools to copy the C:\ to E:\ drive. I got an error saying msdos.sys was missing. So. i booted with a 98dsk and did a sys: C:. Windows was copied to C: So, i booted and it booted to C:. My question is how to get the XP to boot to windows. If windows is there. Can i zero fill with the Diagnostic software.

Are the sys file Ntldr, Ntdetect, boot.ini. or how do i transfer system files for XP thanks LawnBoy

Might try doing a repair install with the XP Disk.

Also if you have 2 Hard drives and you do an extended partition you have to mark one as the bootable device for the OS.

The Jumper config and the BIOS settings may also have to be changed.

i.e. Master Slave, CS(Cable Select), boot order/options.

I am pretty sure there are certain things XP writes to the beginning of the drive in the Master Boot Record or whatever they call it when you run the install.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I've never done it with XP, but the repair install should fix it, as ceh4702 suggested.

Thanks LawnBoy I think i'll try the repair instll. That might do the trick I'll let you know how it works out.

System File Checker should fix that. Just put in the XP CD, and run

Code:
SFC /ScanNow

I fixed a problem on a W2K system that wouldn't boot.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back