Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer User Settings to new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debnla

Vendor
Mar 5, 2007
US
This post is referring to an old post:
thread779-1262006

We have a manager that got a new laptop. The old laptop has XPPro, the new one has Vista Business 32 bit.

The user wants to have all of his settings restored like his old laptop.

I read an old post (referenced above) and did not know there was this utility to help xfer files to new pcs. The problem is our IT guy already copied the files from the old pc to the new pc. I'm not entirely sure this was the correct thing to do.

The files he copied were in the user's C:\Documents and Settings\userid\

The user right now is experiencing unexpected system shutdowns and application shut downs. Before the IT guy copied the files, the user did not experience this on his new pc.

Will running the transfer wizard on the XPPro machine and redoing the transfer to the Vista machine solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I never use MS's transfer wizards (ok, have played a bit and wasn't impressed) - so can't really comment on that. But, vista and XP are different operating systems - so new machine won't be exactly like old, whatever you do (unless you remove vista and install XP on new). You can transfer stuff like emails, documents, favourites, desktop picture easily without a wizard (assuming your IT guy is reasonably competent & knows where such things live). The structure of vista profile is a little different to XP, so copying one to the other as is not a good idea. Were it me, I'd ask the manager what he wants, set it up, let him/her have a play, and then fine tune anything they're not happy with.

Thanks for your reply wolluf.

Please understand that our IT guy already copied the files to the new laptop. I can't do what you suggested because the files are already copied by our IT GUY.

In you saying (assuming your IT guy is reasonably competent & knows where such things live) HE was the one who copied the files to the new laptop so your assumption is wrong -- he is NOT competent! :D

Are you suggesting to reformat/reinstall the manager's laptop and start over? If so, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at Vista's East Transfer, which would need to be installed on the old XP machine, if available. Save any output and run the same program on the new Vista machine. This will overwrite the current settings (but may duplicate any data files already copied across, so watch your choices for data to transfer). See if you can just grab the settings and not worry about data?

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer

Description of Windows Easy Transfer for Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back