Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer to voicemail won't work with CAP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

heminez

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
MICS 4.0 Norstar 7324 phones without CAP module will transfer calls to voicemail boxes using "FEATURE 986" just fine. Add a CAP module and suddenly this feature code stops working. Display returns message "No party connected" and puts the caller on hold. Anybody got any ides? or anyone else having same problem?

Thanks

I had this problem before with some revision on MICS 4.0 ,specially any thing below F05(system version).
Don't try to use the DSS button on the CAP instead of dialing the Mailbox.so press the feature button for Feat 986 and you have to dial the mailbox not press the button that programmed on the DSS(CAP).

Good Luck.

CAPs do not except vmail transfer using DSS button keys.
You must press Feat 983 and enter ext # however only a normal transfer will work using the DSS key.

spoclogo2.jpg

The buttons on the CAP are for transfer to an extension (a physical set). The mailbox number and the extension number are often the same number but are not the same thing. This often is a comment/complaint I get about the CAP. To transfer to a mailbox you must dial in the mailbox number manually. Again it is not the same thing as an extension number. Remember when the mailbox was established a extension number had to be input to create an assicication between DN and mailbox number.

If you like you can view it this way. A tranfer by way of a CAP is an internal Norstar function. The subsequent transfer to voice mail is controlled by set programming (CFNA). Set calls VM DN and VM sees the association between the ext and the correct mailbox and routes call.

When you use F986 to tranfer a caller to a mailbox you are talking to the voice mail, This is a VM feature code. It is looking for a mailbox number which is not what it gets if you use a extension button programmed to the CAP.

I hope this did not confuse the issue.

Rob

Thanks for all the responses however, I am not trying to use the CAP buttons to make the transfer. I am dialing from the phone keypad F986 and the VM box number. It matters not if the VM box number matches a DN number or not. I have tried it to a number of boxes that both match a DN number and that have no DN assignment or even match a valid DN number. Basically it seems that without the CAP module plugged in everything works fine but when plugged in, it doesn't work. Also, I have two stations that have assigned CAPs. One will work occasionally, maybe 1 out of 20 times. Also, they don't consistantly give the error message stated above. sometimes it just puts caller on hold and does nothing. No display...no nothing. You can then go back to the caller so it doesn't drop the call but it doesn't transfer either. Thanks for your help.

Can you tell me what exactely is your software version ,because as I mentioned earlier there was a problem or issues with some of the S/w version below F05 (30mkf05).If you have a lower version then you will have to upgrade or ....

I have duplicated your configuration as closely as possible, I am using 30mjE08 Canadian MICS 4,0 XC software with an old 7324 set and CAP. I set tried the CAP in basic and enhanced mode and have not had any problems transfering internal or external calls (T1) to VM. I have never encountered a problem transfering calls to a working VM with any software release I have worked with. As mentioned earlier it may be a software problem. I don't get to see them all. Hopefully someone has seen this problem before.

Has the CAP been initialized when installed?

Try your set and CAP on another system with newer software if possible.

Just grasping at straws! Let us know how you make out.

Rob

Have you programmed the DN of the phone under "CAP assignment" in "system programming? Its worth a shot, I know you cant program lines to work on a CAP unless you do this. Kevin Clear
Clearfield Comm.

Where do I find the exact software version? I don't see an thing that looks like any of the numbers listed above.

The first heading under the Maintenence program heading will show the software version.

Let us know

Rob

O.K. My software version is 30NDG00. I have tried reinitializing the CAPs and I have double checked that the CAP ASSIGNMENTS are programmed. Still same scenario. Don't understand the coding on the version number. Whats the latest or rather the most reliable. Other info that may be of interest. System is on a T1 PRI runnung NI2 protocol.

This s/w is MICS 4.1 the first release (one out of four) it has its own problems but nothing on the CAP.as far as I know.I don't know what it could be your problem ,did you tried different CAP module ,make sure that CAP is rel 2,try to assign more than 2 intercom buttons to your console.sorry I don't have any more ideas..

"No Party Connect" is a problem that happens often as a result of not enough intercoms assigned to the set. If you only have 1 intercom, that is the problem. If you have 2, try and add a 3rd (if there is space on the 7324 set.) You can also try and reset the set template by removing the 7324 and connecting an M7100 for a bit and then reconnecting the 7324 (make sure that set relocation is disabled first.) The software may have become confused and by resetting the template, you may "jump-start" the KSU into recognizing that the 7324 is there and has 2 or more intercoms.

gnixing has it right... might also sugest disabling the port ... but the M7100 treatment is pretty thourough. Also try subbing out with a much newer M7324 - there can be subtle differences. I am familiar with MICS 4.0XC and find it a solid platform. And another straw grasp ... look at the power supply voltage. Make sure the supply is properly filtered. You can do a basic test with an analog VOM set to AC microvolts. If there is poor full wave correction you will see the needle bounce.

PhM

O.K. I've tried adding more intercoms to each set but it made no difference. I don't have any 7100 sets but will the treatment with an M7208 will accomplish the same thing?? Also, is there any advantage to rebooting the whole system??

You added extra intercom to the set with CAP.Did tryied to replace that CAP or the 7324 phone,You can try to reset or reboot the system sometimes it clears problems .

Good Luck.

An M7208 doesn't have the same effect that an M7100 has. Rebooting the whole system often does have a good effect just as you would reboot your PC as a first line of 'will this fix it?' routine. It is after all a voice computer.

Did you try a more modern M7324?

PhM

Still puzzled myself but I suggest if all fails then wait untill the new cap modules are released(they work with the new T-series 7316) before you spend any money on CAP's.

Try this in mean time:
Push and hold the 2 lowest(in same up vertical colum) buttons on the far right hand side of the CAP and the 2 on the left, wait a few seconds untill everything lights up like a christmas tree and release. (form of CAP reboot).
If still no go:

Reverse the power pairs leading to the CAP.

Well after all this I rebooted the entire system and the problem cleared up. I guess I should have tried this sooner but thanks for all of your help anyway.

Curlycord,
Do you have any more info on the new cap modules? Anything you have on this wuld b of interest. JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back