Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer to New Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool007

MIS
Jan 3, 2002
US

Hi! All,

We had a Cisco Router for VPN with IP address x.x.x.x and because of the ISP change and other stuff, we went to another Router by them - the new router is SBC router for VPN with the IP Address y.y.y.y

Now the problem is we used to have users connect to the OLD VPN router using their LAN AND Dial-up but now with the NEW VPN router, they can ONLY use Dial-up.

They used to be able to connect and map the drive and ping the ip address but now, they can't ping or map the drive.

I tried changing lot of the configuration on their PCs but nothing worked. Do you think it's something that needs to be changed on the NEW router? Maybe the settings didn't changed like it was on the OLD router.

If I can telnet to the router, how can I change it to work both ways (using VPN over both LAN and IP)?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Raj

This is a problem with the router. Do you have access to the router? And what type of router is it?

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Yes, I have access to the router. It is in the server room.

SBC installed it. It's Cisco Systems.

I can telnet into the system using the IP address but don't know what to do after that? What I should be looking at and what I should be doing.

Any help?

Thanks,
R

Sure, you want to telnet into the router. It will have a prompt that looks like > or like # If it's > then you need to type "enable" and enter the enable password. If the prompt is #, then you are already in the enable mode. Issue the following commands:

show version <enter>

show run <enter>

Please look through your configuration files and scrub any important information from them before you paste the configuration here.

Then I'll help you. Let me know how that goes?

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

Ok I did telnet in.

Here is what happened after I entered the command you told me.

------------------------------------------------------
Intel(R) NetStructure(TM) 3110 VPN Gateway V6.90p2
S/N=vpeb000010098 Build#050527-1637
North American Version
usa:NORMAL#
usa:NORMAL#show version

Intel(R) NetStructure(TM) 3110 VPN Gateway V6.90p2
S/N=vpeb000010098 Build#050527-1637
North American Version
usa:NORMAL#show run
show run
^
Error in command
usa:NORMAL#

---------------------------------------------------

Now what do I do???

That is a PBX-IP Gateway. I am not familiar with this device. This is not a Cisco router...sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back