Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer text from one page to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghayman73

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
FR
i am trying to input a text field into a form that is based on the form that the visitor has just come from. for example they are fiewing a verse called "Sister" on a page and when they click a button the word sister transfers from the page and into a form on the next page. is this possible.
im sure i could of explained this more clearly but i dont know the correct terms to use sorry.

if you want to use ASP for this here's what you need
IIS or PWS on your machine
Your Host needs to support asp
after you make certain you have these available then you can go this route.

If you can go via asp then all you need to do is create a session variable and you can access it site wide.
I'm trying, really I am!
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

To give some detail to this discussion, one way you could do this with ASP is to use an application level or session level variable. An application-level variable is available to any ASP page in the same directory, and a session-level variable is specific for one user. They are defined in similar ways,
e.g. Application("var_name") = 42
Session("var_name") = 42

Retrieve this data later in another page in this way,
Response.Write Application("var_name")
or
Response.Write Session("var_name")

A session-level variable is probably the one you want to use. Hope this helps...

im feeling a bit out of my depth here but would love to learn if possible. session level varibles sounds like what i need but i dont know how to implement it
below is the a link that im trying to do it it in

I'm using dreamweaver to make up the pages so it is possible to save these pages as .asp but it does not seem to make much difference to me( but i wouldnt know what i was looking for)
Do i need to execute the code in the link?
Do i need a seperate file on my server?

on the second page how does it know to to select "Sister" from the drop down.

Thank you all for your time in this matter

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back