Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishDeval

Vendor
Jan 27, 2005
US
Hello, I have written previously on this and my customer is still getting what I call (Phantom calls) the phone will ring several times per day and nothing shows on the display and she say's it is dead silence when answered and then she hangs up and it seems several minutes later a (real) call will come in. I have reset the system and check the VM ports and all is correct there.

My question is that the only thing I found that I didn't program (It was done before I got the account) is that the transfer returns for every ext are set to return to themselves such as 10 to 10 right up through 20. The recept's at this location answer and transfer or the incoming caller choose's there ext and leaves a VM at there ext choice, so I am thinking that the #306 (Transfer Return) need not be set to anything. Correct? I usually never set it up to anything. It is VM 4.1 version 2X10.

Transfer return is normally defaulted to the same ext, 10-10, 11-11 etc, it's that way so when someone transfers a call and it's not answered it goes back to the ext that transfered them.

We don't want that here, when someone calls in and they know they want 10, 14, or 20 and it transfers them the recept doesn't want to have to take their VM. They want it left in their original choice of Ext. I have always left the tranfer return set to Data nothing and everything alway's works fine. I just noticed when checking their programming that the previous tech had setup the return transfer for every ext to go back to themselves hence 10 to 10 12 to 12 ect...

My problem and question here is the Phantom calls? How do I stop it?

You can't set it to "data-nothing" - by default the transfer return extension for 10 is 10, 11 is 11, etc.

If you change a transfer return for an extension, when that extension transfers a call that is not answered and not covered by voice mail, instead of returning to the extension that transferred it, it goes to the transfer return setting. Clear as mud!!

For voice mail ports, you set the transfer return extension to 10. If the auto attendant transfers a call to an extension without voice mail coverage, and the call is not answered, instead of returning to the voice mail port, it return to the Operator instead.

Doesn't solve your phantom ring problem, but explains what transfer return extension does.

Now, is the phamtom ring a Ring-Beep, Ring-Beep-Beep, or plain ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back