Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer Phone call not freeing up line

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOWE

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2002
US
Having an issue with our Nortel PBX.

We get a call in from an outside line.
We transfer it to another extension or even to an outside phone number and then hang up the phone.
The call gets transfered but the incoming line does not get freed up.
We can not get another call to that extension until the caller hangs up the phone.

Each phone is setup for 2 inside lines.

As a test, we were able to dial an inside extension, transfer that phone call to another phone and then get an outside call to come to the original extension.

What to know if this is a problem on the lines coming into our PBX or if there is something on the PBX that could be causing this?

Our lines coming into the PBX are configured like this: 10 total lines in. 3 lines dedicated as Icoming ONLY. Other 7 can be used for either incoming our outgoing. So at anyone time, we should be able to get 3 incoming calls no maater what at the very least.

If you use the transfer key on your system you will not free up a line. If you transfer to an outside number, all you are doing is bridging a call between an incoming line and an outgoing line, in effect using up two lines for the one call and on a system as small as yours, that is a bit hit. The only way to free up lines in your scenario is to talk with the telco who can usually set up the lines to transfer from their C.O. This involves entering codes as set up by the telco and they will transfer the calls effectively freeing up the lines into and out of your system. This does come at a cost though and you need to talk with the telco to find out availability and costs in your area. Remember, if yo are transferring LD you will be responsible for those costs too even if they are not on your dedicated lines.

Okay.

But this was all working just fine till about 3 months ago.

Here is what is happening:

Caller 1 calls into our 800 number (our 800 # is transfered at the telco to our local main line # 274-xxxx).
Person that gets that call then transfers the call to another extension inside the PBX (person receiving call is x1501, transfers to x1502).
While this transfer person on x1502 is still talking to the transfered call, x1501 can not get another call from the 800 # (or for that fact, from a direct dial to the 274-xxxx number) unitl the person talking on x1502 is done and hangs up the phone.

Now looking at the logic behind that it seems pretty simple that they should not be able to get another 800# call or 274-xxxx call but like I said, it all worked just fine 3 months ago.

So would the telco possibly have made a change that is not allowing this to work?

We called the telco support and they say its a problem in the PBX transfer programming. But I find that hard to believe since it worked just fine 3 months ago and we have made no changes between then and now.

On internal transfers, if a user at DN x transfers a call to internal DN y, then DN x should be available to recieve another call.

In your scenario, after user at x1501 transfers the call to x1502, what is the status of their DN key? Is it active, or does is show idle?

At the least, you should be able to place an internal call to x1501 after the transfer has been completed.

The DN is idle. And yes, she can place internal calls while the transfered call is still in place.

Thats what makes me believe its mostly a telco change the screwed this up. Plus the fact it was all working just fine 3 months ago.

Are these lines DID's, or COT's?

It sounds like Telco is treating them like a COT, where a single telephone number is dedicated to a particular trunk, instead of a pool of numbers ringing in on a pool of trunks.

These are all DID's.

Are calls coming in all all of the trunks? Have the trunks been tested lately?

Its a Meridian1 system. Option 11.

Another question: where do look for the transfer of the line from the 274-xxxx to our DID's?

Telco is saying that they are directing our 800# to 274-xxxx number. So where do look inside the system (what LD?) to see where 274-xxxx is being sent to?

Little background: I inherited this mess about 2yrs ago. It was setup by a 3rd party for what they wanted it to do originally...now they are wanting to change some things (wanting to possibly switch telco's).

What does happen if you dial the 247-xxx number a 2nd time while someone is on a call with the first? Does the caller hear a busy or does the call just ring with no answer?

If a 2nd person calls 274-xxxx while 1st call is still in operation, they 2nd caller gets a fast busy.

It does not sound like the 247-xxxx number in question is part of a true DID trunk group.

Can you post a printout of the route data block, and an LTM for the associated route?

how do I get the route data block? What LD is that?

What kind of trunks are you using? Is this a T1 circuit of copper? Or is this a Norstar? because it's kind of clear that the trunks are unsupervised!!

"The unexamine life is not worth living, or the life that is living should be examine.

These are T1 circuit of copper.

Like I said before, I inherited this mess and I am in no way a PBX expert. Station programming, meridian mail programming I can do easily. The T1 trunk items I have not touched.

Here is LD21 LTM output:

TYPE TLST
TKTP DID
ROUT 1
DES T-1
TN 002 01 MBER 1
TN 002 02 MBER 2
TN 002 03 MBER 3
TN 002 04 MBER 4
TN 002 05 MBER 5
TN 002 06 MBER 6
TN 002 07 MBER 7
TN 002 08 MBER 8
TN 002 09 MBER 9
TN 002 10 MBER 10

TYPE TLST
TKTP COT
ROUT 4
DES
TN 005 0 00 02 MBER 6

TYPE TLST
TKTP RAN
ROUT 10
DES
TN 001 0 00 05 MBER 1

TYPE TLST
TKTP RAN
ROUT 11
DES
TN 001 0 00 06 MBER 1

TYPE TLST
TKTP MUS
ROUT 20
DES
TN 001 0 00 07 MBER 1 MUS

Seeing this list, my gut feeling is this entry:
TYPE TLST
TKTP COT
ROUT 4
DES
TN 005 0 00 02 MBER 6

Is the trouble. I don't know what is on TN 005 0 00 02.

place a call to the 274 number, and while on the line, see if 5 0 0 2 is busy.

how do I see tn 5 0 0 2? I look in our station database and I don't have anything on TN 5 0 0 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back