Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer hard drive from puter to puter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel999

Technical User
May 9, 2004
GB
This might sound a silly question but I need to know.

I live in the UK and want to remove my 40 gig hard drive, and take it to the USA on holiday. Reason being because I have access to a computer over there. Question:
Can I remove the hard drive in the USA puter and replace it with mine and would the op system work (XP PRO) as normal.

Please let me know asap. - I have also posted under hard drive issues

Mel in the UK

The simple answer is No... the operating system wouldn't work or is very unlikely to work. There are several reasons for this but, primarily, it's because it's very unlikely that the hardware is identical.

There are several caveats to this. IF the USA PC uses standard hardware that was in the Windows XP hardware compatibility list at the time the OS on your PC was installed AND your hard disk is the same type (i.e. IDE or SATA) as the USA one then it's more than possible that Windows XP will be able to self-install the right hardware drivers (or enough for you to be able to use it temporarily).

Another thing to consider is Windows XP Product Activation. If the XP Pro on your PC is a retail version (i.e. not a Volume License version) and the hardware is considerably different (which it is almost guaranteed to be) then it will trigger XP's built-in Product Activation.

You would also need to be incredibly careful about storage and shipping of your hard disk (especially with any possible current restrictions about hand luggage for airline passengers). All it would take would be a careless baggage handler (yeah, I know this is unlikely <grin>) and you would be absolutely stuck... both in the USA and back home.

Lastly, who knows whether XP would revert graciously when you stuck the hard disk back in your home PC. In my opinion it's just not worth the risk.

I suggest you have a look at an alternative that may meet your needs. See for information about a fairly recent type of USB drive that may allow you to take what you need with you.

I've been testing two SanDisk Cruzer models for months and have found it absolutely invaluable for carrying around my favourite stuff with me, including all my Favorites, online passwords, etc.

The tests have been so successful that I've just been asked to order 23 512Mb U3 drives at work for our roaming users and I'm getting 1Gb ones for my family as Xmas presents.

Hope this helps... and have a good holiday!

Oops... I forgot to mention...

I bought my SanDisk Cruzer's from The 512Mb ones are currently £8.99 (ex VAT and delivery), 1Gb's are £13.99, 2Gb's are £27.99 and 4Gb's are £54.50.

As a comparison, the SanDisk Cruzer 512Mb U3 from Scan ( is almost half the price of the equivalent (Disgo DUDE 512Mb U3) available from PC World (
Wherever you get one and whatever make/size you choose, just make sure that it is clearly described as 'U3' otherwise you risk just getting a plain USB stick (not that these aren't also useful... just not as much).

Can you do anything with Remote Desktop?

Or think about what might be possible via Virtual PC.
Microsoft Virtual PC Now Free
thread779-1253504

System carries PC soul

How to move a Windows installation to different hardware

You receive a Stop 0x0000007B error after you move the Windows XP system disk to another computer

Since a M/B change is enough to key a major upchuck, have you considered going the extra step of taking the M/B and the associated I/O plate with you. The US computer would be out of action as long as you have your parts installed and it might seriously erode a friendship but you should be able to swap your stuff in as a minimum install.

You would be at more risk that just having the hard drive and if anything happens to the M/B you will end up with a reinstall when you get home.

You might also consider getting a used laptop to carry with you in place of the big stuff. You could load any of the critical jobs on it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks guys for all your input regarding my post. From what I have read I guess the best bet is to burn all my files progs etc onto 5 x 750mb CD’s and just take that across the pond.
I will just have to bite my tongue and use the operating system which is Win ME on my friends puter.

Thanks again, - Mel

Going to install your applications on your friend's computer? Or is it possible that the programs are already installed?
Not to rain on your parade but it isn't always as simple as you think.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

If you have XP Pro on your computer, I would definitely suggest looking into Remote Desktop (just be aware your computer would potentially need ports open to the internet; never a great idea).

If you don't have XP Pro or don't want to use Remote Desktop (best performance I've seen in a remote control application), you could consider looking into a service like or

If you're going to be using ME then forget my suggestion about a U3 device... U3 only works on Win XP/2000 upwards.

You might want to take a look at LogMeIn.
With it you just need you home machine turned on (not logged on) and you can access it from any Internet connection (as long as Java is installed) in the world. It gives you a console session so any programs that don't play nice with RDP (QuickBooks comes to mind) will work.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back