Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer files ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundust1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I'm trying to transfer or make an image of Quicken books, word processer and some pictures. Is there a program i can run that will do this for me. This is a windows 98se OS. Can i download them to a thumbdrive and transfer them. What im doing is going to install XP professional. Can i install Xp over 98se and have a transfer file wizard do it form me. Or do i have to re-format the hard drive. Please help

There is a few programs out there but Ghost works great for transferring files or even just ghosting a drive. If you have time I would back up the machine and try to do the xp upgrade that way everything you have is still intact and should work. Some things you might have to redo for example drivers etc. If you do a clean install the files that you have a copy of might not work with your office product. You might just have to get Office 2000 or newer to get this to work anyways so I still suggest backing up the complete system with Ghost onto another drive.

Jay Simon

Can i use ghost to to make an image and download to a thumbdrive then put back after i installed windows XP. Note i'm using the XP profressional disk not the upgrade disk. Is there software i can download for free or a trial version.

Yes, you can store a Ghost Image on a thumb drive and reload it from there after booting the pc from the Ghost floppy.

Remember that an "image" is a complete snapshot of the drive. Restoring an image will restore the original OS, in your case Win98, as well as all installed programs.

I think Ghost will allow partial image restores, but think about that for a minute. If you restore just your programs, the XP registry won't have the correct entries for those programs and they won't work. If you restore the Win98 registry, XP probably won't even boot.

Thanks LawnBoy. I'm downloading a trial version of ghost as we speak. I believe it is version 8.0 What is the ghost floppy you are talking about. How do i restore the image after i create it? Is there a program i need.
Sundust1

The Ghost floppy allows you to boot a machine and then proceed with laying the image onto the hard drive (you can't boot to the hard drive if you're about to overwrite the hard drive *). The shrink-wrapped Ghost comes with a boot floppy, the download you're getting should allow you to create one.

Stick the floppy in, boot the machine. Once booted, the floppy will ask where the image to restore is located, and then it will do the restore job.

* Theoretically you could, but only if you stuff all needed files into RAM. Offhand I don't know of a product that does this.

Hope you dont have any 16 bit programs.

16 bit games and games that use odd resolutions may not work in XP unless you use compatability mode.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks lawnboy again. i tried to download ghost but something went wrong. does anyone know where i can download a copy or free trial of ghost. Thanks to all for the replies this will work out. I'll keep you up to post.
Sundust1

Update i had no luck with ghost on windows 98se. you have to use ghost 2003. So i went with a program Handy Backup 3.9. worked great. Backuped on LAN and all is well. Thanks again for all the help.

How much are you trying to transfer? I would think you can just put the files on your thumb drive or on a CD and transfer them over and put them in the proper location when you have XP up and running. If you do an upgrade your files will stay intact. If you format they wont. I would back them up either way.

Im not a fan of upgrades and prefer to start from scratch. Keep in mind that XP may run slow on a computer that orignally had 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back