Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transfer files to 2nd hard drive same computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilasH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2004
US
I successfully installed larger hard drive on desktop running XP Pro. Main HD is nearly full. What is process of transferring some files to larger HD but leaving operating system files and applications on original HD? Thanks!

Just drag and drop.

Unless by files you mean application files in which case it a little more complex.

You can also if you wanted to redirect your Documents folder to the new drive. Just right click on it, and select properties and then click on the "Move" button and select a new location on your new drive for it. It will effectively move the entire folder with its contents to the new drive.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

If your usimg XP you can goto
Start
Programs
Accessories
System Tools
File Settings and transfer Wizard

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Uhh that only works if you are transferring the files to another installation of XP. Not transferring files from one hard drive to a bigger one without an OS.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

UHH so why not do it, why keep the smaller OLD drive.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

SilasH said:
What is process of transferring some files to larger HD but leaving operating system files and applications on original HD?

Many times the largest files are in the My Documents folder, especially if you're using the default prompts for saving files. I've found it very useful to re-direct the My Documents folder to another drive. It also speeds up access.

To do this, right-click My Documents folder->Properties->Target tab->Move and select the path to your new drive, say X:\My Documents where "X" is the drive letter of your new drive.

I highly recommend placing all user files in this folder as it makes for easy backups. You can also redirect your email client to store email data on the new drive as well. The procedure for this will vary with the email client.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks all. Successfully moved My Documents to the larger HD with the "move" command. Dumb question? How do I tell the software applications which are still on the smaller drive "where" the saved old files are?

Never mind all. Thanks anyhoo, but I figured out how to get to the files on the larger drive. The obvious is sometimes obscure? Hmmm. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back